Photo cell w/o contactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
230323-0901 EDT

Isiash:

I do not believe you will find any commerical photocell that will switch much current. Possibly not more than milliamperes. Thus, I believe you are already really talking about a photodetector system that includes some sort of an amplifier ( relay ).

Thus, I believe you are looking for a photoetector system with a high enough output switching capability. This may mean you need to add some external relay to whatever is your available potodetector system.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
A quick search, and found this. They make heavier duty ones than this too.

This shows only 15A rating—If the fixture itself has an integral photocell there would be no need for an additional photocell , correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Read up about the inrush of LED lights. For a half a cycle or so, it is extremely high. I don't have time the research it again now, but I remember that it can be hundreds of amps.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Read up about the inrush of LED lights. For a half a cycle or so, it is extremely high. I don't have time the research it again now, but I remember that it can be hundreds of amps.

Excellent feedback thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sounds like a good reason to not energize them all at olne time as a single group.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The cheaper LED’s do have a high inrush. Target bought some for their cosmetics display, and anything over 2 amps would trip a 20 amp Square D QOB breaker.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Please remember what the OP said: "just a simple photocell with open/close contacts." It's not a single photocell running the show! It's the contacts...
Now. How are those contacts rated??

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Please remember what the OP said: "just a simple photocell with open/close contacts." It's not a single photocell running the show! It's the contacts...
Now. How are those contacts rated??

I believe they’re rated 15A

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Just be aware that if each fixture has its own photocell, then they won't turn on or off at identical times as the ambient light slowly decreases and increases over the day.

Can the integral photocell within the fixture be ‘bypassed’ if desired in order to utilize an external photocell?

Last edited:

topgone

But there is a limit as to how many contactor coils can be pulled in with one photocell.

What limit? If the photocell can carry 20A when driving the load, it is not impossible to drive a contactor coil that draws only about 1,900 VA at inrush, sealed VA = 48VA (15.8A inrush, 0.4A sealed, size 8 contactor). You can use the auxiliary contacts of the first contactor to drive another contactor, and so on! Your only limitation is the VA rating of the control power transformer E.g. if you have to use 4 contactors, you'll need 48 X 4 ~ 200VA CPT.

synchro

Occupation
EE
What limit? If the photocell can carry 20A when driving the load, it is not impossible to drive a contactor coil that draws only about 1,900 VA at inrush, sealed VA = 48VA (15.8A inrush, 0.4A sealed, size 8 contactor). You can use the auxiliary contacts of the first contactor to drive another contactor, and so on! Your only limitation is the VA rating of the control power transformer E.g. if you have to use 4 contactors, you'll need 48 X 4 ~ 200VA CPT.
And a second contactor activated by the aux contacts of a first contactor will have at least some delay in closing vs. the first one. That can only help in spreading out the inrush of the lights so that the peaks don't occur at exactly the same time.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector

Nice to know.
Where did you find the info on inrush and sealed VA? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.