Photo Luminescent Exit Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCleveland

Can this type of sign, built to UL 924 standard, be installed in ANY classified area regardless of Class - Div - Group ?

Have a project where original powered signs were spec'ed for class-div-group-T code, reviewed, installed and inspected and owner added a few additional signs of this type and now are asking if it is Ok. I don't know what to tell them. Exit manufacturer stated because it meets UL 924 then all is fine.

I need something...NFPA-UL, etc. that ties the use as being acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

raider1

Staff member
UL 924 does not cover emergency lighting units for Hazardous Locations. Here is what the Scope of UL 924 states:

This Standard applies to emergency lighting and power equipment for use in unclassified locations and intended for connection to branch circuits of 600 volts or less. Such equipment is intended to automatically supply illumination or power or both to critical areas and equipment in the event of failure of the normal supply, in accordance with Article 700 or 701 of the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70, the Life Safety Code, NFPA 101, the Fire Code, NFPA 1, the International Building Code, IBC, and the International Fire Code, IFC.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Do you have more information on the photo luminescent exit sign that you are purposing to install in a hazardous location?

Chris

raider1

Staff member
UL Certifies (Lists) Photo luminescent exit signs for hazardous locations to Product Category FWBH Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations.

UL 926 is used to evaluate exit signs to this Product Category as well as The basic hazardous (classified) locations standards referenced in Equipment for Use in and Relating to Class I, II and III, Division 1 and 2 Hazardous Locations (AAIZ).

The Bright Path Lighting exit sign that you linked to is Listed under Product Category FWBX Exit Signs, Self-luminous and Photoluminescent. This means that the Exit sign has never been evaluated to the hazardous location Standards as part of its listing.

As a side note UL currently does not have any exit signs listed to Product Category FWBH.

Suitability for this exit sign to be installed in a Hazardous location would be up to the AHJ.

Are the lights that are used to charge this exit sign Listed for the hazardous location?

Chris

MyCleveland

UL Certifies (Lists) Photo luminescent exit signs for hazardous locations to Product Category FWBH Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations.

UL 926 is used to evaluate exit signs to this Product Category as well as The basic hazardous (classified) locations standards referenced in Equipment for Use in and Relating to Class I, II and III, Division 1 and 2 Hazardous Locations (AAIZ).

The Bright Path Lighting exit sign that you linked to is Listed under Product Category FWBX Exit Signs, Self-luminous and Photoluminescent. This means that the Exit sign has never been evaluated to the hazardous location Standards as part of its listing.

As a side note UL currently does not have any exit signs listed to Product Category FWBH.

Suitability for this exit sign to be installed in a Hazardous location would be up to the AHJ.

Are the lights that are used to charge this exit sign Listed for the hazardous location?

Chris

Thanks --- Yes ALL the other fixtures including the other exits are listed for Class-Div and Group of environment.
Did I understand you correctly, for this to be Ok the fixture would need to have been tested under "Product Category FWBH".

I just contacted a second manufacturer of this type of sign and they stated it would fine...regarding their version.
But you went on to say NO fixtures have passed this test according to UL ?

Here is the text from the second company....
"The photoluminescent signs aresuitable for just about any location (explosion, clean room, etc) because thereare no electrical components to them at all. For that reason, they are notrequired to carry any specific ratings such as IP, NEMA, Class 2 Div 1.
The one caveat is that theremust be a constant light source of at least 5 foot candles of light on it atall times for it to maintain it’s charge. That is why these signs have alimited number of applications. "

Last edited by a moderator:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Chris

They're halfway there, or more, why not go the rest of the way? If you're the only game in town, you can set the price accordingly, at least for a while.

raider1

Staff member
MyCleveland;1875574Thanks --- Yes ALL the other fixtures including the other exits are listed for Class-Div and Group of environment. Did I understand you correctly said:
Product Category FWBH[/B]".

I just contacted a second manufacturer of this type of sign and they stated it would fine...regarding their version.
But you went on to say NO fixtures have passed this test according to UL ?

Here is the text from the second company....
"The photoluminescent signs aresuitable for just about any location (explosion, clean room, etc) because thereare no electrical components to them at all. For that reason, they are notrequired to carry any specific ratings such as IP, NEMA, Class 2 Div 1.
The one caveat is that theremust be a constant light source of at least 5 foot candles of light on it atall times for it to maintain it’s charge. That is why these signs have alimited number of applications. "

UL has a Product Category for Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations, FWBH. With that being said there are no Products that UL has Listed to this Product Category. That could be that no manufacture has decided that they need to have their signs listed to this product category.

A photo luminescent sign does not have any electrical parts so it would be up to the AHJ to determine whether they are suitable for installation in a hazardous location.

Chris

MyCleveland

Thanks for your tech support raider1.

I am going to float this back and see what both factories have to say.

My take away is the factories are confident it is safe for the application, but don't want to incur the cost for testing.
I cannot believe an AHJ would grant approval without a label.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is the UL category for luminescent signs that already contain a "charging" light source so as not to require a nearby external light source and so would have electrical components?
If not, then apparently the UL listing would be for proper illumination versus time performance which would not necesarily be related to NEC but to other safely codes that require a lighted sign"?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm sorry GoldDigger, not clear on what you are telling me.

I am just wondering whether tthe UL category for photoluminescent exit signs for hazardous areas is really a category for the combination of the photoluminescent material and a charging light source in one unit.
If not, then the need for listing would seem to come from a code other than the NEC.

raider1

Staff member
Is the UL category for luminescent signs that already contain a "charging" light source so as not to require a nearby external light source and so would have electrical components?
If not, then apparently the UL listing would be for proper illumination versus time performance which would not necesarily be related to NEC but to other safely codes that require a lighted sign"?

GoldDigger,

Here is the Scope of [Exit Signs and Exit Appliances for Use in Hazardous Locations] Self-luminous Exit Signs and Markers for Use in Hazardous Locations, FWBH

This category covers exit signs that utilize a nonelectrical illumination power source, including exit signs containing self-luminous gases or with a photoluminescent surface activated by external illumination. These signs are intended for installation in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 101, "Life Safety Code," the "International Building Code," and other codes governing the marking of the means of egress.

These exit signs have been investigated for use in dry locations only unless marked as suitable for damp or wet locations. Those marked as suitable for indoor damp or wet locations have not been investigated for UV exposure. All exit signs have been investigated for use in ambient temperatures of 20 - 30°C (68 - 86°F) unless otherwise marked with an extended use temperature range.

Exit signs that have been investigated for mounting near the floor are marked, where visible after installation, "Suitable for Floor Proximity Installation" or equivalent wording.

These exit signs have been investigated for visibility from 100 ft unless otherwise marked for a maximum viewing distance of 50 or 75 ft. The marking is visible after installation.

EXTERNAL ILLUMINATION

Exit signs whose visibility is dependent on external illumination (such as photoluminescent signs) are intended for installation only where such external illumination is deemed reliable and sufficient by the Authority Having Jurisdiction and where the lighting controls are accessible only to authorized personnel. Where compliance with the visibility requirements requires external illumination greater than 1 ft-c, these signs are marked, where visible after installation, for a minimum 5 ft-c illumination, measured on the face of the sign. If specific type(s) of lighting are needed to achieve the required visibility, the lighting type is also marked on the sign where visible after installation.

This Product Category covers both Photo Luminescent exit signs and self luminous exit signs (Nukes)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.