Photocell question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

400 W HID flood light hooked up to the 240v. tap. The photocell was 120v., they ran the two hots through the photocell. Have you ever seen this before? Thank you for your help.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
400 W HID flood light hooked up to the 240v. tap. The photocell was 120v., they ran the two hots through the photocell. Have you ever seen this before? Thank you for your help.

This is/was a two pole photocell? Presumably containing a relay or SSR? I would question where the control power for the unit was derived from. If there is a neutral, it might be OK.

zappy

This is/was a two pole photocell? Presumably containing a relay or SSR? I would question where the control power for the unit was derived from. If there is a neutral, it might be OK.
It was a 120V. Photocell Blk, Wh, Red

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
It was a 120V. Photocell Blk, Wh, Red

Back in my apartment maintenance days, there were several 240V HPS pole lights controlled by a simple Intermatic photocell. Only one side of the 240V was switched. Had to keep reminding the boss to kill the breaker when he was messing with the lights or he was gonna get bit.

kwired

Electron manager
PCell wasn't "120 only" but rather 120-277 rated?? Don't know if there is such a thing, but wouldn't be surprised if there is.

Jgentles1

I believe what he is doing is using one leg through the
Switch side of the photocell and the other leg parallels the photocell coil and the oposite side of the load. So basically black=line side red= switchleg to hid ballast white=constant hot to photcell coil and hid ballast o ly switching one phase 208-240-480 1phase

Amon

I believe what he is doing is using one leg through the
Switch side of the photocell and the other leg parallels the photocell coil and the oposite side of the load. So basically black=line side red= switchleg to hid ballast white=constant hot to photcell coil and hid ballast o ly switching one phase 208-240-480 1phase

So that is a way but its dumb...Wont get the same life out of the photo cell. Its just a resistor...Why are we asking about trying to use a 120v resistor on a 240v circuit... Why is this a question. 15bucks 208-277 photocell.. It is only controlling a single 400w light? if that's the case probably not a big deal. ..

Basically.. But will it work.. Yes photo cell doesn't really care whats happening with that neutral.. There is no time clock involved? That happens a lot multiple circuits controlled by time clock with the control voltage switched by photocell.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
So that is a way but its dumb...Wont get the same life out of the photo cell. Its just a resistor...Why are we asking about trying to use a 120v resistor on a 240v circuit... Why is this a question. 15bucks 208-277 photocell.. It is only controlling a single 400w light? if that's the case probably not a big deal. ..

Basically.. But will it work.. Yes photo cell doesn't really care whats happening with that neutral.. There is no time clock involved? That happens a lot multiple circuits controlled by time clock with the control voltage switched by photocell.

It's a photo CONTROL. The photo cell is a component of it. Yes, the photo cell is just a resistor but it controls a thermal or solid state relay that in turn switches the load. You need a hot and neutral for that to work. So, yes the control does care about the neutral.

Possibly, as kwired said, it was a dual rated control? We need more information.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.