Photoelectric Sensor for "Level Low" Switch in Grain Hopper

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Occupation
Electrician
Greetings,

I've had a job come up in which a customer wants to automate a grain cleaning machine. As it stands, two augers feed grain into the hopper of the grain cleaner. The grain cleaner operates independently of the two augers. Once switched on, the grain cleaner has a "hopper full" switch which is supposed to shut off the auger motors, but it was never hooked up at the time of install. The grain cleaner has no PLC, timing relays, or "hopper empty" switch, as well as the schematic being destroyed by moisture. Currently, the machine operators simply use sight glasses on the hopper and mechanically control the rate at which grain is dropped into the augers with a gate valve to control the rate at which the grain cleaner hopper is filled.

My solution is to add a second sensor switch to the bottom of the grain cleaner's hopper to trigger the auger motors to turn back on, and tie both level switches into the control circuits of the two augers. Simply put, once an auger is switched on, the auger will convey grain into the hopper until the "hopper full" switch closes, at which time the auger will turn off. The grain cleaner will operate, and the the auger motor will switch back on once the "hopper empty" switch either opens or closes.

My question, ultimately, is about the suitability of a standard diffuse photoelectric sensor which I have on the shelf left over from a previous project. It is IP67/NEMA 4 rated, is adjustable, NPN or PNP, and both light and dark sensing. For reference, it is Allen-Bradley Cat. 42CM-D1MPAL-D4. My concern is that the face of the sensor may suffer abrasions over time from the flow of grain, and I'm unsure how significantly this would affect its light sensing capability. I realize that a photoelectric sensor isn't the ideal product to use for this application, but I'd like to get rid of it AND the customer is one of the penny pinching types, but I ultimately want to supply a quality end product. Does anyone have any experience with using photoelectric sensors in applications where the sensor will be immersed in dry granules and subjected to likely a fair amount of vibrations?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Never used a photoelectric for the purpose. Always thought dust would be the biggest issue. Assuming dry product. Corn, and alfalfa pellets we used capacitive, with wear shields and without. Vibrating rods and rotary vane were more reliable. I liked the rods the best.

I've used sonar for potatoes. Connected 4-20 ma via a VFD it maintains a range

Occupation
Electrician
Never used a photoelectric for the purpose. Always thought dust would be the biggest issue. Assuming dry product. Corn, and alfalfa pellets we used capacitive, with wear shields and without. Vibrating rods and rotary vane were more reliable. I liked the rods the best.

Yes, dry products - primarily barley. I've used rotary sensors in dust collector bag houses to detect clogs or full levels, but never the vibrating rods. The grain cleaner has a diaphragm switch installed for the "hopper full" switch that I actually really like. It is essentially a SPDT snap switch located inside a 6" drum behind a flexible diaphragm. When the grain rises to the level of the switch, it applies pressure on the diaphragm, and the switch closes until the pressure is released again. It seems like it would be very simple and reliable, but it is quite large and would require cutting a significant hole in the side of the hopper to install a second one. Plus, like most other sensors that I could use, it would take awhile to receive, and I pretty much need to do this project this week.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Yes, dry products - primarily barley. I've used rotary sensors in dust collector bag houses to detect clogs or full levels, but never the vibrating rods. The grain cleaner has a diaphragm switch installed for the "hopper full" switch that I actually really like. It is essentially a SPDT snap switch located inside a 6" drum behind a flexible diaphragm. When the grain rises to the level of the switch, it applies pressure on the diaphragm, and the switch closes until the pressure is released again. It seems like it would be very simple and reliable, but it is quite large and would require cutting a significant hole in the side of the hopper to install a second one. Plus, like most other sensors that I could use, it would take awhile to receive, and I pretty much need to do this project this week.
To order and get any parts installed yet this week...🤣....gasp...🤣.

Occupation
Electrician
To order and get any parts installed yet this week...🤣....gasp...🤣.
Like I said, I do have the photoelectric sensor on hand already haha the customer is an ag seed and chemical supplier, and apparently they are about to hit their busy season for this particular piece of machinery. Like everyone else that I work for these days, they need it done RIGHT NOW :rolleyes: I just finished writing the PLC program, and the PLC and sensor cordset should be delivered sometime today. I will probably just install the sensor that I have on hand and see what happens. Worst case scenario, it doesn't function well and I'm in the same exact position as I am right now, but it at least buys me a little time to source another product.

Occupation
Electrician
Wondering how your project worked out.
My typical procrastination at following up...
It worked well. I used an Allen-Bradley 42CM-D1MPAL-D4 photoelectric sensor with a QD cordset. If I recall, I designed the system to operate when dark. When the sensor stopped detecting dark, it opened an examine-if-closed contact in the PLC. Opening the contact energized a relay output that switched on the grain auger motor. I thought it would be more durable and reliable if the trigger to initiate the auger was when the sensor STOPPED detecting darkness. I cycled well between the lower photoelectric sensor and the upper diaphragm switch. I received no complaints from the customer all season.

garbo

We had great luck with sonar detectors on 16 to 18' high tanks of chocolate with a rotating agitating blade. The tech who set them up somehow had the sonar detectors completely ignore the .maybe 5 RPM agitating blades.