Physical difference of 30A vs 60A safety switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piano Man

Occupation
engineer
What are the physical differences between 30A and 60A safety switches? For example, looking at Eaton models DH361UGK vs DH362UGK and they look the same inside and out. They also seem the same operationally.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The 60s will have heavier contacts/buss bars to carry more amps
Yep. $1.42 worth of extra copper on each pole, but the ability to say it's rated for more amps is worth what the market will bear...

Years ago when I worked in engineering for a circuit breaker manufacturer, I discovered that for our150A frame breakers, ALL of them had the exact same power pole assemblies, whether they were rated 150A, 60A or 15A. The only difference was the trip setting and the lug size, but the lugs only cost us a few pennies more. Yet the 150A was a lot more expensive than th 15A, as in <50% more. When I asked why the 150A were so more expensive, my boss at the time said "Because they can be. It's called Market Pricing" I have never forgotten that message.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Because they can be. It's called Market Pricing"

Applies when quoting jobs as well. A labor hour's value varies depending upon the client's perception of it's worth. When calculating a fixed price quote, most jobs are charged using the standard labor rate, but some (like panel changes) are charged a premium because people are willing to pay it, and others (like ceiling fans) are charged less than standard because people aren't willing to even pay the standard rate.

Even had one lady say "That's more than I paid for the fan" like somehow the two things are related. Needless to say, I don't do a lot of solo fan jobs.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
When I was doing resi work, people would sometimes ask if I wanted to do some other task on the side for cash after the job was done. If it was plumbing, I always told them they can’t afford my rates. I HATE plumbing.

But one time I agreed to see what was wrong with a guys light fixture, it was a burned out bulb (he was a tax accountant). I only charged him $10 for that 😁

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Applies [to almost everything else] as well. A [commodity's] value varies depending upon the client's perception of it's worth. ...
This is one of the most-difficult lessons I ever learned, and remains one of the most-difficult to accept.

Being an engineer, I always expected there to be definitive, consistent answers.

A stint in the car business was quite unsettling. First, I noticed that minivans ranged in price from about $15-35k. Then I noticed that a lot of options didn't cost the company anywhere near the price on the sticker. Cruise control, for example, was $195, even though almost all the hardware (speed sensor, throttle actuator) and all of the software was already there; the only cost to the manufacturer was for the pushbuttons on the wheel. (about a 2500% markup for the manufacturer,; about 100% for the dealer)

Don't even get me started on paint. The markup on sparkly minerals would make a payday lender blush.
It's no accident that the $15k minivans came in red, blue and green while the $35k minivans came in Hyannisport Sunrise Mist Metallic.

I later noticed that all cars are made of about the same number of about the same kind of parts and assembled by the same people. A Thunderbird has four more pistons than a Neon, but lacks a back seat. But the price difference was $16k vs $48k.

I didn't get any less cynical when I learned that there are two fundamental duties of marketing:
[1] Researching the customers' perception of worth, in order to command the highest-possible prices.
[2] Manipulating the customers' perception of worth, in order to command the highest-possible prices.

(apologies for the paraphrasing/generalizing)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When a frank discussion of price pops up with a customer, I often say, "It's no secret that you want to be able to pay as little as you can, and I want to be able to charge as much as I can. I try to come up with a price that's fair to you and fair to me."

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Occasionally somebody will say they think my price is too high. I give them the names of the two franchised electricians in town who advertise on TV and also happen to be the most expensive electricians in town. I suggest they give them a call for a price quote. Sometimes I get a call back to do the job.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Occasionally somebody will say they think my price is too high. I give them the names of the two franchised electricians in town who advertise on TV and also happen to be the most expensive electricians in town. I suggest they give them a call for a price quote. Sometimes I get a call back to do the job.
I suggest getting other prices in that case, and remind them to make sure they only consider licensed and insured contractors.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I have told them, if you call enough people you will find someone lower but do you want them on your property?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amateur!" ~ Red Adair

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I later noticed that all cars are made of about the same number of about the same kind of parts and assembled by the same people. A Thunderbird has four more pistons than a Neon, but lacks a back seat. But the price difference was $16k vs $48k.

Then there is also if it costs X to design a new body for a somewhat existing chassis, then you divide X by the number of cars sold of the new design. Obviously they sold less Thunderbirds, so the portion of X to recover per car was way higher than the Lincoln LS it was based upon, than say an Escape that was designed on a Focus. Then you add back in the perception you mentioned.....

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
For sure, for sure. Stamping dies are enormously expensive -- millions of dollars per pair, but you can make millions of parts with each pair. For truly limited-edition production runs, they're sometimes made of hardwood, but those have a lifespan of maybe a thousand parts.

The PT Cruiser -- not exactly limited edition but a bit of a niche market -- consisted of almost 100% Neon parts that were already in the catalog. (except for the body, of course) None of the running gear (modern cars don't have a "chassis", per se) was new design or new production.

Status
Not open for further replies.