PI: 225.30 (Alternative)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
This is an alternative to the previous PI I submitted on 225.30, https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/pi-225-30.2573460/

If the intention is that the number of supplies to a building is limited to one, absent one of the conditions listed, regardless of whether the supply is a branch circuit, feeder, or service, then this PI clarifies the language to that effect. I'm fairly agnostic on whether that should be the case, or whether one service plus one branch circuit or feeder should be allowed without restriction. Either way, the language needs to be clearer.

I also made an analogous PI for 230.2, which I will skip posting.

Cheers, Wayne

225.30 Number of Supplies

A building or other structure that is served supplied by a service, branch circuit or feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means shall not be supplied by only one another feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (F). See 230.2.

Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input

This change coordinates 225.30 with 230.2.

As the two sections are currently written, the disjoint scopes of Articles 225 and 230 permit a building or other structure to be supplied by both a service and a feeder or branch circuit without restriction. If that is the intention, please disregard this PI.

However, if it is the intention that absent one of the specified conditions, a building or other structure should have only one source of supply, be it service, feeder, or branch circuit, then the proposed wording makes that intention explicit, while still dividing the restriction between Article 225 and 230 in accordance with their scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.