Picking Your Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighWirey

Sparky555 said:
Along the lines of free estimates I was wondering if anyone else picks their projects, or more to the point, avoids certain projects.

I had a call asking for a free estimate on a pool hookup, a fairly common call this time of year. Last year I gave at least two bids for pools & I believe both clients said I was "almost triple" their other bids. It leads me to believe that someone has a laborer digging the trench, & likely doing the electrical work while he's there. So I avoid bidding on pools for new clients looking for free multiple quotes. If I can't get a decent percentage of the projects I feel like I'm working for the competition providing a higher bid so they can get the job.

I've read in other threads about guys doing panel changes or even service upgrades under $1000. Personally, I'll especially avoid the live utility work if there's no profit in it.

Anything you avoid? Dave

I always avoided 'sticky' projects. Most of my work was government bid only, so I did not have to be concerned about getting a reputation for turning down work.

Best Wishes Everyone.

There is one GC I do work for that tends to get an eclectic mix of projects. For a time his bread and butter were fix and flips in somewhat questionable areas. When I first started out I would take these jobs, but it didn't take long for me to see that there was no money in them. I started raising my prices on these and he stopped calling me on them. However he does still call me on other projects he gets that are a bit more involved.

Rawls007

I tend to stay away from people with heavy foreign accents, and houses where I know I'm going to be belly crawling through the low sloped attic. Also, people who want a free estimate to "hang a light fixture" get referred to my competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.