piggy back UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcapp

I recent power loss and generator failure caused and outage on critical equipment. Is it advisable to install a small UPS between the critical equipment and the generator supported UPS. The building UPS has an eleven minute support time. The generator was turned on manually about 30 min after the outage(transfer failure).I was told piggy backing the UPS can cause damage but no information can be found to support that statement.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: piggy back UPS

Are you referring to parallel redundant UPS? If so it is done by high end UPS manufactures. If this approach is taken it should be engineered with the UPS manufacture consultation.

[ September 08, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

catchtwentytwo

We've been told that using a "UPS on an UPS" configuration can create harmonic issues and shouldn't be done without an isolation transformer.

ron

Do you want to feed the existing UPS with a new UPS? Or do you want to feed the static bypass (if there is one) of the existing UPS from a new UPS? Or some other configuration?

jcapp

What I'm trying to do is add time to a couple of servers in a data center. The data center is parallel redundant but if it fails I would like my equipment to stay up for about 30 min. I was asked if I can add a small, plug in, minute man
UPS. I do not want to add any thing that would damage the data center infrastucture or the server equipment.

wirenut1980

I would do as dereck has said and add more batteries/rectifiers instead of installing another UPS system. Or if the customer is willing to take some other "less critical" loads off of the UPS it would free up some additional time for the servers you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.