[ July 14, 2005, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Pigtail grounding screw dilema

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by benaround:
My opinion of a self grounding recepticle is one that will ground the box from the recpt,not ground the grounding terminal of the recpt. from the box!
Frank you are looking at it backward.

You must always ground a metal outlet box.

If you use a self grounding receptacle you do not have to bring a grounding conductor to it.

If you did it your way the removal of the receptacle would lift the boxes ground which would be a 250.124 violation.
Plus, with an all-metallic wiring system, no grounding conductors would be required.

A good idea, yes, but not required.

Back to my original question if you look in the NEC handbook (yes i know we only are supposed to use the code book) they diagram a lot of ECG's coming into the box directly to the ground screw not using 6" of length. My co-worker, pointed this out to me and I have used this back in the 80's but I don't feel comfortable going right to the ground screw with no slack. Any code related backing besides 300.14? Any more comments?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I'd say that in practice, it's okay to hit the box grounding screw directly because there should never be a reason to disturb this connection.

redfish

Originally posted by electricmanscott
Gota love the south!
I couldn't find the word Gota in any of my dictionaries, what does it mean? The closest I came was a series of canals in southern Sweden. :)

[ July 16, 2005, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

physis

My view is that 300.14 is requiring the 6 inches because I think everyone knows what it's like trying to work with 1 inch of conductor in a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.