pigtailing or back stabbing outlets

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

pigtailing or back stabbing outlets

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

yeah I almost said the same thing, but then I got to thinking, it probably would still get hot and arc even if there is no current draw. Let's say the 2 blacks are coming loose and it is constantly sparking and arcing even without a load.

To create an arc, current needs to flow..... with no load (hence, no current), how is that possible?

I suddenly think a new dilemna or drama or argument has unfolded. :D

Yep..... sit back and watch!
popcornbeer-1.gif

480sparky

I know what you mean and I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not quite sure.

Take an energized wire..........

Um, lemme rephrase that.........

Imagine taking an energized wire and touching it to something. If no current can flow because that something cannot complete a circuit, there's no arc.

Now, imagine taking that same hot wire and pulling a recep out of your pouch and touching the terminal to the energized wire? Think it will arc or spark?

aftershock

Imagine taking an energized wire and touching it to something. If no current can flow because that something cannot complete a circuit, there's no arc.

Now, imagine taking that same hot wire and pulling a recep out of your pouch and touching the terminal to the energized wire? Think it will arc or spark?

No. and, depends.

steelersman

Take an energized wire..........

Um, lemme rephrase that.........

I understood what you were saying. I just wasn't ready to come down off of the fence. But after searching for info with no luck online and thinnking about it real hard I think you (and me, cause I was about to say the same thing you did to Peter) are right. I have to go with my first instinct. :)

480sparky

Depends on if you have something plugged into that recep and you have connected the neutral wire to the recep as well.

Then you can have a completed circuit through the load. But touch an energized wire to the terminal of a device that has nothing plugged into it, and there's no circuit and no current clow.

steelersman

Then you can have a completed circuit through the load. But touch an energized wire to the terminal of a device that has nothing plugged into it, and there's no circuit and no current clow.
aftershock obviously wasn't on board from the beginning. Can you explain this strange new term to me called current clow? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.