pin holes in the copper piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

relbas

I have a customer that complaning about pin hole leaks all over the house and he thinks that is due to some ground current.
The house located between 2 rail road stations about 1/2 a mile a part.
Any ideas exept changing the plumbing pips?

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
The water supply may need traetment. I know the ph should be over 8 to protect copper pipes from corrosion. Even the velocity of the water flow can cause the walls of the pipe to deteriorate. Of course electrical flow can also do it. Gotta check out everyhting.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Corrosion to water lines is not caused by AC current, but rather DC current. And it depends if the current is from the pipe or towards the pipe. The DC is typically from rectifiers in power supplies. Some times it can be solved by installing a non metal spacer in the water line outside the house.
And yes the pH needs to be above 8 or even 8.5 to prevent corrosion. Where I live we have a corrosion control system that raises the pH from 7.5 to 8.5, which prevents the lead from leaching out as well. It partly depends on how aggressive the water is. The chemical used is sodium hydroxide, or Draino.
Check for AC and DC current. DC with a DC ampmeter in series with the GEC to the water line.

RayS

I think if the pinholes are interior, and randomly spaced, it is a water chemistry issue. Stray currents would cause a breach at grounded areas, or underground.

Kessler4130

They removed a chemical from the public water in my area a few years back and had to prompty put it back in the water because it was causing pin hole leaks in almost everyones copper piping, I seriously doubt it is an electrical issue.

R2006

years ago we had the same problem turned out to be electrolisis(hope my spelling is correct) caused by water pipe ground going bad. No driven ground so only path to ground was cold water and the ground clamp was corroded.
good luck.

jdes913

Is there a blue tint to the water? I ask this because I posted a question on the grounding/bonding forum. My daughter moved into a brand new house and has a blue tint in the water, water co. says water is safe, power co. says it checked their grounding and all is good, I and the builders electrician checked the house grounds and they look fine. The sub-division is small but most people are having the same problem. On www.finishing.com people with the blue tint problem for a few years say they have pinhole leaks. Any suggestions would be useful.

stickboy1375

jdes913 said:
Is there a blue tint to the water? I ask this because I posted a question on the grounding/bonding forum. My daughter moved into a brand new house and has a blue tint in the water, water co. says water is safe, power co. says it checked their grounding and all is good, I and the builders electrician checked the house grounds and they look fine. The sub-division is small but most people are having the same problem. On www.finishing.com people with the blue tint problem for a few years say they have pinhole leaks. Any suggestions would be useful.

Yehs your PH is too high, very common with wells, not sure about city water, but maybe its the material your faucet is made out of, but get your water tested either way.... I just reread your post, I've never actually seen a tint in the water just blue stains in the sink....

Status
Not open for further replies.