pipe heat tape installed into EMCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

satman

Hi,
Utility companies have no code or watchdog?

I have been installing equipment into flush mount cabinets on the out side of residences to support Fiber To The Premise (FTTP). The cabinet is NEMA 3R rated with no gaskets.

Inside the cabinet is a 20 amp electrical outlet, wood back board. The cabinet is a BN14326W-C

1 CyberPower UPS and 1 Fiber media converter. A 6' to 9' heat tape is zig-zagged across the electronics held with 200? heat rated duct tape.

This heat tape configuration scares me and I won't install them. Any solutions to keep the battery from freezing would be appreciated.

Thanks,
satman

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: pipe heat tape installed into EMCE

I am not sure I have any problems with this installation.

The heat tape is probably self limiting as far as heat goes.

The duct tape, while it may appear cheesy is a pretty good solution IMO.

I don't see anything inherently unsafe in what you describe.

The only other option would be to install a strip heater inside the enclosure and keep the entire enclosure warm rather than just the electronics. I think their solution is more cost effective and more efficient.

bphgravity

I am fairly certain this use violates the UL 515 listing for this type of product. Plus I also believe this product generally requires GFPE protection.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
bphgravity said:
I am fairly certain this use violates the UL 515 listing for this type of product. Plus I also believe this product generally requires GFPE protection.

Why would such a use violate the listing? There are plenty of heat tapes made that are listed for being covered.

I looked in the code and the only place I found that required GF protection associated with heat tracing tape was in article 427 which would not apply since this is not a vessel or pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.