pipes above light fixtures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Will it violate the code if sprinkler or mechanical pipes run above recessed 2x4 lights?

skeshesh

Will it violate the code if sprinkler or mechanical pipes run above recessed 2x4 lights?

I've don't think that will be a violation. Sprinkler runs are even allowed within dedicated electrical space per 110.26(F)(1)(c). You do need to be careful with coordination though as the mechanical ductwork does present physical challenges during installation in tight ceiling spaces.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sprinkler runs are even allowed within dedicated electrical space per 110.26(F)(1)(c).
That is not how I interpret that article. It does not say you can put the sprinkler pipes within the dedicated space. The pipes still have to comply with the rule, and that means they have to be more than six feet above the panel (i.e., above the dedicated space).

What it does say is that we are allowed to have sprinkler protection for the dedicated space. That tells me that a sprinkler pipe that is higher than (but off to the side of) a panel, and that would spray the area directly above the panel, is allowable.

skeshesh

That is not how I interpret that article. It does not say you can put the sprinkler pipes within the dedicated space. The pipes still have to comply with the rule, and that means they have to be more than six feet above the panel (i.e., above the dedicated space).

What it does say is that we are allowed to have sprinkler protection for the dedicated space. That tells me that a sprinkler pipe that is higher than (but off to the side of) a panel, and that would spray the area directly above the panel, is allowable.

I think I stand corrected yet again. The code reads: "sprinkler protection shall be permitted for the dedicated space where the piping complies with this section". I also took a peek at the handbook and the illustration is pretty clearly showing the sprinkler piping outside of the dedicated space while a note with a leader pointing to the sprinkler head reads "sprinkler allowed". I have no idea how I misread that... I'll just go ahead and blame joggling several projects and my long commute per usual! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.