plan review wire sizing and cord drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

Do the cord caps need any sort of extra strain relief added to them?

I think that depends on how much strain is on it and on the connector itself. There are some available with a kellems grip that screws onto where the normal strain relief goes. The ones we use bite into the cable really good, they have a plastic wedge thing molded into the rubber part of the grip. I attached a photo of one with the strain relief disassembled. 20230517_120755-1200.jpg

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
I think that depends on how much strain is on it and on the connector itself. There are some available with a kellems grip that screws onto where the normal strain relief goes. The ones we use bite into the cable really good, they have a plastic wedge thing molded into the rubber part of the grip. I attached a photo of one with the strain relief disassembled. View attachment 2565351
Im trying to find a HP rated cord cap and can't seem to find anything below $300. Where do you get yours? HP rated is necessary for a cord and plug connected motor controller correct?

Todd0x1

CNC machine isn't a motor load, its all electronics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 430.19(F) applies only if the plug and receptacle is used as a motor disconnect. In the CNC machine application there is no motor directly behind the plug.

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
CNC machine isn't a motor load, its all electronics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 430.19(F) applies only if the plug and receptacle is used as a motor disconnect. In the CNC machine application there is no motor directly behind the plug.
I am installing drops for a Lathe, Mill and the haas i believe has a 5hp motor on it.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was handed off a project that started before I got to the college and they just got an approval on the plan review that I am seeing for the first time. I am assuming that they can get away with running #10 from a 35A breaker because it is feeding motor circuits? I would like to feed these with cord drops from the ceiling that only like 15/20ft and want to make sure what I am think is ok. Can I use strain reliefs from a 4 square to a twist lock recept with a strain relief on it? would I need to add strain relief to the whip from the machine? Does my Recept have to be sized for the breaker or can I size it for the actual load like they did with the wire? if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to do it/products I'm all ears.
What is the rating of the receptacles you want to use? You can't put a 30A receptacle on a 35A circuit even if the load is a motor.

Todd0x1

The mill feed goes right into an on off switch and the lathe has motor contactors in it but you are correct the haas has a drive.
Its time I demur to those with better code knowledge of this. Is a pair of connectors hanging in the air on the line side of a motor disconnect switch on the machine considered a motor disconnect that requires HP rating? FYI the horsepower ratings on hubbell twist lock connectors are pretty low compared to their current rating.

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
this is in the manual for the lathe, I assume this means that I need to install a fused disconnect?

Attachments

• 20230517_135836.jpg
    20230517_135836.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 8

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
What is the rating of the receptacles you want to use? You can't put a 30A receptacle on a 35A circuit even if the load is a motor.
Yeah that was one of my original questions and feared that might be the answer. I'm starting to think dropping a conduit onto a pole and feeding the panel that way might be the way to go.

garbo

I was handed off a project that started before I got to the college and they just got an approval on the plan review that I am seeing for the first time. I am assuming that they can get away with running #10 from a 35A breaker because it is feeding motor circuits? I would like to feed these with cord drops from the ceiling that only like 15/20ft and want to make sure what I am think is ok. Can I use strain reliefs from a 4 square to a twist lock recept with a strain relief on it? would I need to add strain relief to the whip from the machine? Does my Recept have to be sized for the breaker or can I size it for the actual load like they did with the wire? if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to do it/products I'm all ears.
I have ran drops from 1900 boxes ( what you call 4" square boxes ) by using a Kliems basket strain relief cord connector that has two eyelets that I either attached to the beam or piece of secured unistrut. I would rather use a female twist lock cord connector rather then hang a box on any cord drops. I always used at least SO ,SOW or other heavy cord. Even if I was doing a 120 or 240 volt drop always used cord rated for 600 volts. Burned me up when I came across somebody that used cheap SJO cord for a drop. If I came off a FS or FD box with hubs that were parallel to the floor would screw in a steel 90 degrees fitting that had a 1/2 or 3/4" female threads connection and attach a Klien basket strain relief cord connector into it. Had a 225# apprentice hand off a 10/4 cord drop and it held him. At a factory that moved machines on wheels would install a heavy spring that would stretch a few inches to help peop!e from pulling female cord connector off cords that they neglected to unplug before moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.