Planning a start-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

How about, for now, we call it a electrical service business instead of a contracting business? Until I make the plunge? I don't see myself doing any of the projects you refer to right away. For now lets say I only pick up jobs that I can pretty much complete in a weekend. Just doing business very low key just to get the feet wet, learn a little about the business end of things. Accumulating more tools and equipment as I go. MAybe avaoiding the huge business loan that I would need to jump right in full bore.

Just thinking out loud. Keep the replies coming please.

Why that may be a bad idea, you will still need all your insurances, and they are overhead, and what if one of the jobs service jobs, developes a problem, nothing serious just smoke comming out of every room in the house, and the city tries to contact you and your at your regular job, electrical work is not a hobby, nor is it something you do on the side.

Dnkldorf

what if one of the jobs service jobs, developes a problem, nothing serious just smoke comming out of every room in the house, and the city tries to contact you and your at your regular job,

I love the entertainment value that is hidden in these posts.

Well worth the admission price.

growler

Why that may be a bad idea, you will still need all your insurances, and they are overhead, and what if one of the jobs service jobs, developes a problem, nothing serious just smoke comming out of every room in the house, and the city tries to contact you and your at your regular job, electrical work is not a hobby, nor is it something you do on the side.

He has said he will be insured.

If there is smoke comming from every room in the house they normally call the fire department.

The city may need a number to get in contact with the EC but this can be a work number or cell phone so as long as they can contact him.

Electrical work is something that can be done on the side, there are many people doing it, most are doing it in an illegal manner, this guy wants to be legal.

What's the difference beween the city trying to contact a contractor at work locally than the city trying to contact a contractor that's out of town on another job. Half the commercial jobs that are done here are done by companies that don't even have an office in this state. Once the job is over they pack up and go back home. So they call a company in
Texas and tell them there is smoke comming out of the building. They can talk about it but it's a little late to get on a plane and try to solve the problem.

aline

what if one of the jobs service jobs, developes a problem, nothing serious just smoke comming out of every room in the house, and the city tries to contact you and your at your regular job
Most electrical contractors don't answer their phone anyway.

You'll have to leave a message and they'll call you back in a couple of days if they remember. :)

Rewire

What is your motivation for wanting to do this? Are you worried about the day job and are looking to hedge your bet or do you have a desire to become a contractor or is this just a side thing.

I will tell you the water is fine if you truly desire it them start moving in that direction as for money it wont matter when you start you will need capital and the more the better.

Write a business plan and follow it and remember it is your plan.Keep posting here you will find a few real contractors ,a few employees and a lot of posers. In time youll learn who they are

satcom

He has said he will be insured.

If there is smoke comming from every room in the house they normally call the fire department.

The city may need a number to get in contact with the EC but this can be a work number or cell phone so as long as they can contact him.

Electrical work is something that can be done on the side, there are many people doing it, most are doing it in an illegal manner, this guy wants to be legal.

What's the difference beween the city trying to contact a contractor at work locally than the city trying to contact a contractor that's out of town on another job.

The difference is many of the AHJ's and fire prevention, want someone there now not tommorow, if there is a permit on the job you must have a contact person, and it the job was a repair, and problems caused injury or property damage, if your licensed, you may want to respond.

What is your motivation for wanting to do this? Are you worried about the day job and are looking to hedge your bet or do you have a desire to become a contractor or is this just a side thing.

I will tell you the water is fine if you truly desire it them start moving in that direction as for money it wont matter when you start you will need capital and the more the better.

Write a business plan and follow it and remember it is your plan.Keep posting here you will find a few real contractors ,a few employees and a lot of posers. In time youll learn who they are

My motivation is that someday I would like a fulltime contracting business. I have thought about this for years. I guess the reason I haven't done anything about until now is fear. That's why when my wife suggested I start up part-time, it got me thinking. I realize there are going to be problems to work through doing it this way. But I figure starting out this way can't hurt as long as I don't get in over my head with work. Not that people are giong to be beating down my door to get me to work for them but maybe I keep advertising to a minimum. Get the occasional job here and there, getting my name out there. Learning the biz end of it. Can that hurt me? I actually used to do work on the side just by word of mouth. And I had more than I could handle. I turned stuff down. The only difference now, is that I would be doing it the legitimate way.

Status
Not open for further replies.