Plans calling for Type L copper electrical conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bclumen

I picked up a set of plans for a commercial swimming pool and the specs call for Type L copper conduit for the swimming pool lights. Copper pipe was used on a lot of older pools but now its all PVC with an internal #8 grn. Is a copper conduit allowable by the NEC? I don't think it can be threaded, wouldn't one need to sweat the connections? Has anyone seen this before?

220/221

Copper? Nice :roll:

Brass is used almost exclusively here but I'm a rebel and used PVC and an external #8 bond on mine.

bclumen

I do some pool renovation projects and when we encounter light niches without means to land the #8 green we install 3/4 brass. Its real expensive.

Power Tech

I picked up a set of plans for a commercial swimming pool and the specs call for Type L copper conduit for the swimming pool lights. Copper pipe was used on a lot of older pools but now its all PVC with an internal #8 grn. Is a copper conduit allowable by the NEC? I don't think it can be threaded, wouldn't one need to sweat the connections? Has anyone seen this before?

It's probably red brass, 1/2" you can pull the pool cord through from the pool box. Comes 20" sections and is soft but can be threded. I think the brass has a lot of copper in it. I would make contact with the engineer who spec'd it out to be sure.

c2500

I may be wrong, but type "L" is a spec for copper plumbing pipe, not conduit. I also ran a quick search with that specification and only returned plumbing related items.

c2500

Cavie

I may be wrong, but type "L" is a spec for copper plumbing pipe, not conduit. I also ran a quick search with that specification and only returned plumbing related items.

c2500

I suspect the engineer has a collage student assistant cut and pasting things he knows nothing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.