Plastic Snap-ins vs Romex Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Are snap-in's acceptable anytime a Romex connector is needed? I have always used Romex connectors and I am trying to find ways to cut down on time of installations of Recessed Cans and cutting in panels. Im sure there is no difference in most applications but are there any times I want to stir away from doing this?

davedottcom

Re: Plastic Snap-ins vs Romex Connectors

I thought they were cheezy when they first came out but I have since changed my mind and now I use them in every panel, exaust fans, pan cake boxes. Major time saver and they really do work well. Great for Outside lights when using pan boxes, it allows the box to sit very flat. I use Halex Brand. The only time they don't work well is when the thickness of the metal is too thick for it to sit properly. I have found this with certain recessed light j boxes. Also some manufactures seem to make thier K.O.s a bit smaller then the "standard" size, which makes it impossible to use. That's when I bust out the "Old Fashion" kind! :)
Dave

pierre

I see these fittings gaining popularity every week. Like Dave, I was not too fond of them at first, but the use I see, the more of a fan I become. They are cost effective, installation effective and contractor friendly - does it get any better.

aelectricalman

I've heard only positives. Sounds good to me. I was going to switch, but wanted to see if there were any drawbacks. This is great news. Thanks for the help. Please keep the suggestions rolling. Thanks, Chris

davedottcom

Please keep the suggestions rolling.
Install them in the top of the panel BEFORE you pull the HR's. When you pull the HR pull it right through the plastic conn. saves a lot of time and really keeps everything neat and nomore struggling with that mess of wires when it's time to "Cut-in" the panel.

Dave

Besides being fast, the big advantage for me is that they are approved for more than one cable.

ETD and Arlington websites have info showing the number and sizes of NM cables their plastic snap-ins are rated for. (two cables of various sizes)

They also work great for fixing the crappy panel work you find sometimes. You can snap the Arlington connectors on without removing the wire from the panel.

physis

I love the plastic connectors. Except for the stupid ones that require a pair of channel locks to use. Very similar to the good ones but a huge pain to use. (I can't find an Image at the moment)

hurk27

Here is the Arlington one I use:

c9nm94i.jpg

hand2c9_im.gif

hand2im_c9.gif

They do save time and are allot cheeper to buy.
Not trying to make a sales pitch but Arlington has many inovated stuff that makes my job much easier to do.
Here is a list of stuff on there web site:
Arlington's Content Page Click Here

physis

Those are the ones I like too Geogre. That's a funny image though. The ones I use look a little cooler than that.

I bought what I thought was a box of those from my favorite supply joint once and they gave me these instead:
3LK49.JPG

Climb up in an attic, oh #$%!, I need channel locks.

The first time I bought 'em I wasn't sure if they'd pass inspection either.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
...I am trying to find ways to cut down on time of installations of Recessed Cans...
Originally posted by davedottcom:
I have found this with certain recessed light j boxes.
Just about every recessed can I've seen comes with built-in cable clamps that don't require separate cable connectors, and I find using them to be faster than either metal or plastic connectors.

Originally posted by abode electric:
You can snap the Arlington connectors on without removing the wire from the panel.
For adding a connector to a cable already in a box, nothing beats the Raco Insider:
http://www.hubbell.com/thinkagain/think_files/pdf/4714_INSIDER.pdf

peter d

Originally posted by LarryFine:
For adding a connector to a cable already in a box, nothing beats the Raco Insider:
And now we return to regularly scheduled programmming..... :D

[ November 24, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

allenwayne

The Arlington work great but they do tend to work their way out when using 6/2 or 6 /3 in a panel on make up in a 3/4 ko JMO.

AC-DC

I think I'm going to see if my boss (GC) will let us switch to them. I've used the "grey" ones before, they were quite slick to use.

[ December 01, 2005, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: AC-DC ]

jes25

Arlington in general makes a lot of great T&M saving stuff. I just grabbed a catalog the other day and kept saying "I knew there was a better way" Those coach light "medallions" with the built in pan box are awesome for vinyl siding. I also like the garden post product.

mc5w

City of Cleveland requires them when repairing knob-and-tube wiring that has metal boxes. The inspectors really like a 2-cable Hitlocks because they usually ( but not always ) reduce induction heating of metal boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.