Plastic Staples vs. Metal Staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenwayne

Re: Plastic Staples vs. Metal Staples

Originally posted by physis:
My first ever electrical inspection I got it for three NM's under staples. I've never even looked for a code, just don't do it anymore more.

What is it? Staple listing that limits cable count under a staple.
Look on the box for limits and then bumdling is another issue,them I found 3m cable stackers
greatest thing since sliced bread :D

jackcay

for normal romex 12/2 i prefer the metal staples, mostly because i can drive them with my Klein's. for bigger wire 4/3 etc... i prefer the plastic staples, they seem to hold the wire better.

aelectricalman

Anyone know of a good tool for this application. A pair of kleins with a small hammer device for this app. I like the idea of having kleins with a crimping device under it. We need something with all three.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

A small hammer device? I'm confused.

I beat on my Kliens in tight spots and they stand up to it.

For a comical discussion about the crimping nines, see this thread . I went Charlton Heston for a day. :D

allenwayne

Forgot to ask how many here carry kliens, t strippers, razor knife,hammer, screw drivers,nut drivers,tape ruler when roughing in nm???
I spent years with a measuring scratch stick,and a pair of kiens and a razor knife that btw I only used for 3 wire and cutting in the panel.I remember a few years ago I was given a new helper to evaluate.Brand new tool pouch full of all the goodies.First thing I did was remove 75% of what he was carrying.Lose the pouch kid was the first thing I told him grab those kliens and a sharpie.Your pulling homeruns ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

When I'm pulling, I wear this:
1103.JPG

My nines slide in upside down where the flashlight and knife are shown in the picture.

The lower pouch with the multitool in it holds enough staples to hold me over on high stuff. I drive them with my nines, and have my hammer on the ladder for hammering through and into TGI's.

I found that throwing nines in my back pocket made a hole in my pocket, and that I couldn't carry any staples. Couldn't stand the canvas apron approach, I have no posterior so it ends up around my ankles. Can't find wirenuts in an apron, either.

When I'm done pulling, I put my goodie bag on and staple up, strip out. I use everything in my bags at some point.

physis

George, that's a Gerber multi- in that silly pouch. I hope it's the one with the stout real plier end on the other side of it. Best tool in the whole universe. I think they want $70.00 for it now and I haven't replaced mine yet because that's just out of line. And the hadrened stailess will break. You need a new one about every year. But for the forty bucks I used to pay I didn't mind.

physis

This image doesn't do it justice. When I say best tool in the universe I mean as something you can always have with you in your pocket.

7510.jpg

physis

The one cluttering up your awesome pouch is your multi-. My newest of the three revisions is in the same drawer it's been in for more than a year, cause it's broke. And I ain't buying a new one, knowing ahead of time it's gonna break too, when they've almost doubled the price.

Damn thing.

physis

I use my back pockets.

Straight
Phillips
Side Cutters

Are the standard compliment.

Other tools are added depending on the task.

I have a new tool belt that I still haven't used. Never been much of a tool belt guy. Try to wear that thing in tight spaces.

George, are you calling the side cutters "nines"?

allenwayne

It`s a speach impediment :D I for one still have trouble with woltage Oh i meant voltage :cool:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

No, linemans. I tried, man. Can't befriend the dykes like I love my nines. :D

[ March 13, 2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Just currious, does everyone here use insulated handles?

Roger

aelectricalman

Klein has a handle pack you can purchase which they claim is not insulated but it is. You boil it in a pot and beat them on to your kleins. Well, yesterday I tried to do this and I melted the insides together :D

physis

Bless your little heart Roger.

I haven't even seen a pair of uninsulated side cutters or Georges nines less than 50 years old. Are they even made that way anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.