Plastic wet niche luminaire.

Kevin15640

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ive heard that there is a plastic pool niche that is designed for 120 volt pool lights that does not need to be bonded to the equipotential bonding system? From my experience the plastic pool niche would have 8 awg wire running to it with a termination point that has a strap connecting The termination. 680.26(B)(4) exception states that the housing shell shall not require bonding if both low voltage system and plastic. How if at all would this apply to line Voltage?

david

Ive heard that there is a plastic pool niche that is designed for 120 volt pool lights that does not need to be bonded to the equipotential bonding system? From my experience the plastic pool niche would have 8 awg wire running to it with a termination point that has a strap connecting The termination. 680.26(B)(4) exception states that the housing shell shall not require bonding if both low voltage system and plastic. How if at all would this apply to line Voltage?
I agree the NEC Requires the insulated green # 8 bond/equipment ground as you stated. It bonds the fixture lens cover to the branch circuit 12 awg equipment ground. It also bonds the # 8 equal potential bonding for the pool to the # 12 awg equipment ground branch circuit in a listed pool lighting junction box

david

The green # 8 in pvc conduit does not bond the fixture lens cover or the fixture to the equal potential bonding

There is a lug on the out side of the niche for that purpose. The equal potential bonding connects to the exterior lug.

You need two # 8 awg connected to the niche copper # 8 exterior

Insulated green 8 run in the conduit with the fixture supply cord

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
You will need potting compound on the lug inside of the niche.

I've had inspectors request the same for outside lug. Did that on a job years ago and the inspector made me take the potting compound off because he wanted to be sure the bond wire was uncut and continuous. Even though I assured him it was, I still had to remove it.

The upper screw hole/plate that holds the light fixture in place is connected through the niche itself to the outer lug.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The upper screw hole/plate that holds the light fixture in place is connected through the niche itself to the outer lug.
Therein lies the secret. If you do a continuity check you will find the lug is actually connected internally to the ring on the front of the fixture.