Plate Screws-up and down or horizontal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was wondering how many installers take the time to line up the plate screws? We always line them up vertically. I've seen many 4 gang switch plates with the screws in 8 different directions. IMO it doesn't look professional if they're in a random pattern. This is right up there with installing the plate level. Does anyone else do this?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Plate Screws-up and down or horizontal?

Truthfully?

I think the only ones that look that close at plate screws are electricians.

I bet many folks don't even notice there are screws there.

When you look at someones clothes do you notice what kind of stitching is used.....a tailor would.

Oh yeah.... I am a vertical screwer. ;)

Bob

cselectric

I've always placed the slots verticle (except for horizontally mounted recepts. which get horizontal screw slots.) I think it looks a bit cleaner. It also comes in handy at times. If the screws are in the right position, I know it was one of my guys installing crooked covers. If they're in the wrong position, I know it was someone else, usually the painter doing touch up, who removed the plate and reinstalled it sloppy.

Beyond that, I agree with Iwire, it is an item seldom noticed. We as electricians see flaws that the untrained eye never notices. Everything from screws not lined up to crooked pipe runs. But, that is no excuse for sloppy work IMO. Who knows when another electrician might wander through. LOL

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by cselectric:
If they're in the wrong position, I know it was someone else, usually the painter doing touch up, who removed the plate and reinstalled it sloppy.
Thats a good point. :cool:

Painters removing or loosing plates and screws can be a real PITA.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I've seen Architectural punch lists with crooked plates on the list. We actually had a customer (who isn't an architect) ask me if we were going to install the plates plumb and with the screws in an "architecturally correct" fashion, meaning vertically in line.

I guess that Bob was right,most people don't notice but then again some do.

amptech

Always vertical. I have 3 GCs that will ding you if they're not. These are the same GCs that want a chalk line snapped and followed if you run NM in the crawl.

stud696981

I always align them as well. Looks neater and it has the "We care" look.

One thing I was trained on, and I have seen it first hand, if all your work is neat and professional looking the inspectors spend less time trying to find faults with your work.

davedottcom

over 18 years of plates installed with a torpedo level and Horizontal screw slots! :)

I can tell just by looking at one of my plates if someone else has had their grimy-little mitts in it!

jimwalker

vertical here too.Really no big issue if horizontal but should be same all thru building.

Sure would hate to go back and fix 18 years worth of screws ;)

[ September 17, 2005, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Sure would hate to go back and fix 18 years worth of screws :D :D :D

Now that would really s :D

[ September 17, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

sandsnow

Originally posted by stud696981:

One thing I was trained on, and I have seen it first hand, if all your work is neat and professional looking the inspectors spend less time trying to find faults with your work.
True statement, just know that misaligned cover screws would not raise a flag for me.

stud696981

Larry,

Your right about the screws, I was just making a general statement about doing a neat job.

jimwalker

Inspectors can't see everything.One place you know they will look is at the panel and overal view of quality.I don't even want the job to look unswept.All it takes is for them to find the first wrong item and they look deeper.We almost always are there for them.Makes there job easier and ours too if they do find something.Was told on last house we did that i was not to leave till the inspector came.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Not trying to cause trouble or anything, but what about phillips head screws? :roll:

jimwalker

They will be fine but be sure one slot is verticle.And you are a trouble maker :D ;) Also please no ivory screws in white plates.

paul

Am I the only one who glues them on with silicone and tosses the screws? :p

Vert 4 me

Status
Not open for further replies.