Plate Screws-up and down or horizontal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Plate Screws-up and down or horizontal?

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Inspectors can't see everything. One place you know they will look is at the panel and overal view of quality.
True enough. Years ago, I wired a gutted farmhouse from the ground (pardon the pun) up for my ex-in-laws. Completely new wiring, central AC/heat, 200a service, etc. like a new house.

The only problem I foresaw was 'dad' insisted I place the meter base on the porch. I explained why that would be unacceptable, but he was adamant, so I complied, knowing what would happen. :p

LawnGuyLandSparky

Just like to point this out...

Many customers couldn't care less about, and can't see or appreciate-
-the planning
-the layout and distribution of circuits
-the panel rebalance if needs be
-the fine grounding job
-the non-overstuffed boxes
-the better grade devices
-the years you spent learning what needs to be done and how to do it most efficiently
-the neat cabling within the walls and unfinished spaces

So what it comes down to for Joe Homeowner, customer, and many GCs is how the actual visable finished product looks. This makes the cover being level and plumb, the switches- especially multiple ganged switches, and convenient, logical placement of discretionary devices, and clean, fingerprint-less / smudge-less covers and lenses and fixture glass and bulbs and hi-hat trims and especially the anodized aluminum reflectors extremely important. That's less than 20% of the job... but it's where 100% of your reputation is derived from!

paul

Originally posted by LawnGuyLandSparky:
Just like to point this out...

Many customers couldn't care less about, and can't see or appreciate-
-the planning
-the layout and distribution of circuits
-the panel rebalance if needs be
-the fine grounding job
-the non-overstuffed boxes
-the better grade devices
-the years you spent learning what needs to be done and how to do it most efficiently
-the neat cabling within the walls and unfinished spaces

So what it comes down to for Joe Homeowner, customer, and many GCs is how the actual visable finished product looks. This makes the cover being level and plumb, the switches- especially multiple ganged switches, and convenient, logical placement of discretionary devices, and clean, fingerprint-less / smudge-less covers and lenses and fixture glass and bulbs and hi-hat trims and especially the anodized aluminum reflectors extremely important. That's less than 20% of the job... but it's where 100% of your reputation is derived from!
This is what I call the 'I C effect'

cselectric

Originally posted by paul:
[This is what I call the 'I C effect' [/QB]
And a powerful effect it is. In reality, you could do a letter perfect job, everything up to, if not better than code, everything perfect, then the painter removes your cover plates and reinstalls them cocked and the HO thinks your lousy. On the other hand, you could hack the job up real bad, buried splices, illegal wiring methods, recycled materials, you name it, put those plates on straight and the HO will recommend you to his friends (at least 'til his house burns down.)

Preception beats reality, every time.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

When I have reinstalled plates in my home (I have done far more room painting than I care to remember), I used to make the effort to make the slots vertical. It appealed to my sense of balance and order . But after the third or fourth time that the plastic plate cracked (when I tried to give it that last quarter turn to make the slot vertical), I gave up. For many years now, I have not noticed the position of the slots, and I have experienced much greater inner peace. :D :D

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

over 18 years of plates installed with a torpedo level and Horizontal screw slots!
Exactly how do you level a screw slot with a torpedo level?? :D Now that's going the extra mile!!

Steve

dillon3c

Originally posted by charlie b:
For many years now, I have not noticed the position of the slots, and I have experienced much greater inner peace.
Yes...As I had often wondered, into the secrets behind your steadfast composure.. ;)

B

bthielen

Except for those times when I left them otherwise, I too, line them up vertically.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I level the Plates with the level you knucklehead!
Oh sure, just eyeball them and half-a$$ it!! :D

You could get a laser level, and line the screw slots up with that.

Steve

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by steve66:
I level the Plates with the level you knucklehead!
Oh sure, just eyeball them and half-a$$ it!! :D

You could get a laser level, and line the screw slots up with that.

Steve
Got this image in my head of an apprentice screwing the laser to the wall at about 18", 47" and 49" so they can shoot all the plate screws level. :D :roll:

paul

Steve,

You're not the only knucklehead who was thinking that way. But since I ride an Evolution, not a knuckle, I prefer being called a blockhead. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.