Please tell me if I did this problem correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

Please let me know how I did on this problem, or if you would have answered any of these differently. Thanks.

QUESTION:

A person buys a house without a garage, and later decides to have a 2-car detached garage built. The owner?s electrical needs are as follows: Garage is to be powered with a 120/240V subpanel installed in the garage, using a 40-amp underground feeder from the main panel in the basement of the house. The owner also wants to be able to control the outdoor garage lights from inside of the garage as well as inside the house. The lighting circuit is to be rated at 15 amps with no other non-lighting outlets connected to it. Receptacle outlets are to be fed by two 20-amp circuits.

1. What is the minimum allowable size for each of the ungrounded (hot), grounded (neutral), and equipment grounding (green) conductors if THHN copper conductors are to be used?

2. If the minimum size conductors are used, what is the minimum allowable size PVC conduit that can be used?

3. What is the minimum allowable size metal junction boxes to be used in the basement and garage to contain all conductors in Question 1?

ANSWERS:
1. Based on Table 310.16: #8 THHN has a rating of 55 amps, and since there are 6 current-carrying conductors in the raceway, (Table 310.15 B2a), 55 * 0.8 = 44 amps. So use #8 ungrounded (red/black) and #8 white (neutral). Based on Table 250.122, use #10 green grounding wire. For the 3-way common and traveler wires, use #14 black, red, and blue.

2. Since the maximum fill of conduit is 40% (Chapter 9, Table 1), and the sums of the cross-sectional areas of the conductors are as follows: 3@0.0366, 3@0.0097, 1@0.0211, for a total of 0.16 square inches. The area of a 3/4? conduit is 0.442 square inches. 40% is 0.177. So a ?? barely meets the requirement. I would personally use 1? to make the wires easier to pull.

3. Each junction box would contain all 7 conductors in Question 1, as well as a #14-3 NM-B cable and a #8-3 NM-B cable. All grounding conductors count as one. The remaining 6 are paired with a conductor from the cables, giving a total of six #8 and 6 #14, and one #10 grounding. For each #14, 2 cubic inches are needed. For each #8, 3 cubic inches. For a #10, 2.5 cubic inches. Total cubic inches needed is 17.5. Therefore, a 4? square by 1.25? deep barely passes with 18 cubic inches. I would personally use a 4-11/16? square X 1.25? because it would provide more freedom, and a 4? box is not likely to have 1? knockout openings, where a 4-11/16? would.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
(1) How do you come up with 6 current carrying conductors? I come up with 4, 2 for the feeder and 2 for the switch. You can't use THHN underground, you will need THWN which will limit you to 75C for derating unless your wire is THWN-2.

(2) I didn't do the math but looks about right.

(3) You are way off. You have the correct idea but try you calc's again.

jeff48356

(1) How do you come up with 6 current carrying conductors? I come up with 4, 2 for the feeder and 2 for the switch. You can't use THHN underground, you will need THWN which will limit you to 75C for derating unless your wire is THWN-2.

The feeder has 3 current-carrying conductors (two hots and one neutral), and so does the 3-way switch (two travelers and one common). I didn't know THHN wasn't rated for underground use. I see in 310.8 that it's not. I'll have to recalculate based on THWN conductors then.

fmtjfw

The feeder has 3 current-carrying conductors (two hots and one neutral), and so does the 3-way switch (two travelers and one common). I didn't know THHN wasn't rated for underground use. I see in 310.8 that it's not. I'll have to recalculate based on THWN conductors then.

You only count 1 traveler. They alternate as possible current carrying conductors.

copper chopper

almost the same

almost the same

hi , i love doing this crap !!!!:D

#1= I got the same answers as you but some notes this does not effect these calculations though. #8 is rated at 50 amps in the 75 degree column its 55 amps in the 90 degree one which is only used for derating. and for your 3-way I would pull in 1 black and 2 reds for your travelers.

#2 = I came up with the same conduit fill as you did but i used table 5 chapter 9 page 718 (2011 code). the thing that has me scratching my head is the 3/4 inch conduit stuff you have, 0.177 I cant find that in my code. What I did is , you say it is an underground install, so I assume you will use sch 40 pvc. and in table 4 chap 9 page 715 (2011)
you will find that 3/4 inch pvc is 0.203 and should fit these fine.

#3 =I have the same as you but I would use a 4 11/16 x 2 1/8 box .:happyyes::happyyes::happyyes:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
(1) Assuming the source for this feeder is a single phase 120/240 volt supply you don't count the grounded (neutral) conductor.

(3) Since 2 of you guys agree on your answer will you please show your math?

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
neutral

neutral

(1) Assuming the source for this feeder is a single phase 120/240 volt supply you don't count the grounded (neutral) conductor.

(3) Since 2 of you guys agree on your answer will you please show your math?

You must count the neutral.

kwired

Electron manager
You must count the neutral.
You must count all conductors for raceway fill.

For ampacity adjustments a neutral that only carries unbalanced current from the ungrounded conductors is not considered a current carrying conductor. I also am in the crowd that says only one three way traveler will ever carry current at any given time and you only need to count one as a current carrying conductor. Either way in this particular application though, you are still in the 4-6 current carrying conductor range for adjustments

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't know THHN wasn't rated for underground use. I see in 310.8 that it's not. I'll have to recalculate based on THWN conductors then.

Look at the markings on your conductors. There is a good chance it is rated for any of the following THHN, TWHN, THWN-2, if so it is 90 degree conductor no matter where it is installed.

kwired

Electron manager
For your box fill 6 number eights times 3 cubic inches each should be 18 cubic inches for the 8AWG conductors alone - maybe they changed that since I learned my multiplication tables?:blink:

jeff48356

Total cubic inches needed is 17.5. Therefore, a 4? square by 1.25? deep barely passes with 18 cubic inches. I would personally use a 4-11/16? square X 1.25? because it would provide more freedom, and a 4? box is not likely to have 1? knockout openings, where a 4-11/16? would.

Oops! I made an error here! I don't know how I did this.

6 @ 3 is 18
6 @ 2 is 12
1 @ 2.5 is 2.5

18 + 12 + 2.5 = 32.5 cubic inches.

Looks like the 4-11/16" square X 2-1/8" deep is the correct box to use anyway! Based on Table 314.16(A), that box has a space of 42 cubic inches, the only one listed in the table that's over 32.5.

Transportation Guy

Pretty sure most THHN is now dual rated as THHN/THW-2. Check your jacket. I just looked at some in our warehouse and it lists both.

fmtjfw

You must count all conductors for raceway fill.

For ampacity adjustments a neutral that only carries unbalanced current from the ungrounded conductors is not considered a current carrying conductor. I also am in the crowd that says only one three way traveler will ever carry current at any given time and you only need to count one as a current carrying conductor. Either way in this particular application though, you are still in the 4-6 current carrying conductor range for adjustments

The 2014 Code is supposed to say that now:

Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) Adjustment Factors for More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors
1Number of conductors is the total number of conductors in the raceway or cable, including spare conductors. The count shall be adjusted in accordance with 310.15(B)(5) and (6). The count shall not include conductors that are connected to electrical components but that cannot be simultaneously energized.

Note that spare conductors are counted as CCC [now NEC is adding requirements for possible future use.]

One of the travelers in a pair of travelers is not a CCC under "cannot be simultaneously energized".

2014 added text

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Do i count the neutral on a service as a CCC?
Is the service 120/240 single phase? If it is, do not count the neutral
Is the service three phase and you have all three hots counted as CCCs? Then do not count the neutral.
Does the service load have high triplen harmonic content? Then even if you answered yes to either question above, you still count the neutral.
Simple, yes?

kwired

Electron manager
The 2014 Code is supposed to say that now:

Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) Adjustment Factors for More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors
1Number of conductors is the total number of conductors in the raceway or cable, including spare conductors. The count shall be adjusted in accordance with 310.15(B)(5) and (6). The count shall not include conductors that are connected to electrical components but that cannot be simultaneously energized.

Note that spare conductors are counted as CCC [now NEC is adding requirements for possible future use.]

One of the travelers in a pair of travelers is not a CCC under "cannot be simultaneously energized".

2014 added text
Good information to point out. The OP's installation did not deal with any spare conductors though.

There are still conductors in the raceway that are not considered current carrying for the purposes of ampacity adjustments, even some spare neutrals may not need considered when the time comes that they are used.

liquidtite

Look at the markings on your conductors. There is a good chance it is rated for any of the following THHN, TWHN, THWN-2, if so it is 90 degree conductor no matter where it is installed.

Thhn is a 90' conductor but if it's terminated to a device that's rated at 75' don't you have to take it at 75' colum?

Status
Not open for further replies.