Plenum Cat 6 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SPARKS

I am wiring data ports in a school, the drop ceiling is not being used as a plenum so I'm planning on using no plenum rated cable. Are there any fire codes or other restrictions/circumstances that would require plenum rated wire?

nakulak

sections that you might want to read: (2005)

830.3 A
830.133 C
830.151 C
830.154 A
830.154 D

and maybe if applies
800.154 E 3
800.154 G

you might want to make sure your ahj has no ammendments to nec that apply.

4SPARKS

yea i went through the gammet of section 800 and 830 , the way i see it if it's not a plenum ceiling then it doesn't have to be plenum wire just wasnt sure if it being a school made a difference or if fire insp was gonna have an issue with it

ron

In a fully sprinklered building, NFPA 13 says that the area above a suspended ceiling does not require sprinklers to cover the cavity within the suspended ceiling if there are no combustibles in the cavity.
Some AHJ's consider non-plenum rated cable combustible. Of course we all know that even plenum rated cable is combustible, but many AHJ's just trust that the low smoke producing characteristics will make it all okay.

4SPARKS

Thanks , with plenum being more than twice the cost I would obviously do well to install non plenum but not if I have to do it twice. Just wanted to get a feel for everybodys thoughts. The ahj is very unapproachable in the town I'm working in so i was trying to avoid calling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.