Plenum Rated Cable Ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWJeffro

New User
It was brought to my attention that NEC 800.170 (C) requires cable ties used in a plenum air space shall be listed as having low smoke and heat release properties.

Your thoughts on the impact of this?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It was brought to my attention that NEC 800.170 (C) requires cable ties used in a plenum air space shall be listed as having low smoke and heat release properties.

Your thoughts on the impact of this?
Read the labels on standard wire ties closely before you spend money on the package marked "plenum".

Eh40

Plenum cable ties

Plenum cable ties

It would still have to be labeled as suitable for use in a "plenum" area.

Apparently previous cable ties have a makeup where cyanide gases are released when exposed to heat, from what I was told this gas can be released early enough where smoke detectors have not gone off yet, so in plenum areas this was a concern

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
My thoughts? Its what the code requires...

Most plenum rated CTs are purple, as they are made with the same DuPont chemical that I can's spell. T&B has some for about $150 per hundred, but I found some from Dotty for $14.00. And as Don says some of the regular old CT are listed for use in plenum spaces.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The TYV523M are marked "Plenum" and cost about 80 cents each. The TY523M are listed as suitable for use in 300.22(C) spaces and cost about 7 cents each.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
One other comment. the plenum rated ties are purple, easy for the inspector to identify. The TY523M is white nylon, looks the same as any other. If you use the TY523M, the AHJ may want to see the bag...

five.five-six

Adi has their house brand plenum ties, they are cheep enough that I don't even recall what I
pay for them.

another thin you can get called on is non plenum rated bushings and those are north of a buck a pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.