Plug-in PV backfeeding a receptacle? Is this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
IMO the target sales demographic for these devices is people who do not understand how electrical energy works. Beyond any legal and safety concerns, a single AC solar module plugged into a household outlet is not going to make an appreciable difference in their electrical bill.

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
Sure it doesn't 'directly violate any law', but it indirectly violates the law by violating approved regulations so what's the difference. In Calfornia at least, and probably most states, the utility rules are approved by public utilities commission, which is empowered by the legislature to approve such rules, which in turn gives the utility for all practical purposes the same power to sue you (or turn off your power) as if it was a law passed by the legislature itself. A distinction without a real difference.
It's actually a big difference. Breaking any given POCO rule does not necessarily mean violation of an actual law. In the real world that means a lawsuit with significantly higher burden(time/cost) to prove in a court of law which can make it less likely to be pursued.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It's actually a big difference. Breaking any given POCO rule does not necessarily mean violation of an actual law. In the real world that means a lawsuit with significantly higher burden(time/cost) to prove in a court of law which can make it less likely to be pursued.
I don't know about that. Are you a lawyer? Most lawsuits have nothing to do with breaking a law, they have to do with breaching contracts or causing damages. For small customers, any lawsuit is a time and burden cost regardless of how good a case there is, so it very rarely comes to that anyway, if ever. But conversely, it's relatively easy for them to turn off your power.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Just briefly read about this kind of thing. My first impression is it's a big cluster muck of muckery.

mucked.jpg

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
There was a time before NEM when people did guerilla solar interconnections. Sometimes the utility noticed, sometimes not. There are some interesting interviews with people who did this in old Home Power magazine issues.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
During a previous discussion on this topic, I mentioned the 'solar mini-split' systems. These are mini-split heat pumps with a built in DC-DC converter that allows the connection of solar panels, and software modified to properly manage the unit with changing light levels. The units are capable of being run with PV only, or can be connected to PV and mains.

Key for this discussion: the units are completely incapable of supplying power to the grid. If there is lots of sun and you don't need the AC, then the power is simply not collected.

IMHO these sort of units would be perfectly kosher to install without an interconnect agreement (since they never operate in parallel with the grid and physically cannot generate to the grid), but the POCO would probably not like these as a load, since as far as grid stability is concerned they have the exact same intermittency problem as any other PV connection. Say the AC is on full blast, and a cloud passes overhead. Your grid consumption is going to jump up just as your neighbors PV production drops.

-Jon

jaggedben

Occupation

IMHO these sort of units would be perfectly kosher to install without an interconnect agreement (since they never operate in parallel with the grid and physically cannot generate to the grid), but the POCO would probably not like these as a load, since as far as grid stability is concerned they have the exact same intermittency problem as any other PV connection. Say the AC is on full blast, and a cloud passes overhead. Your grid consumption is going to jump up just as your neighbors PV production drops.

-Jon

I don't think a cloud passing over such a tiny PV system is going to affect grid stability, and it certainly won't any more than the many loads that are variable for some other reason. (In your scenario there's zero effect on distribution systems from variable backfeed.) And I don't think clouds passing from one small system to another have any real effect on grid stability either, especially when aggregated over large balancing authorities either. Cloud cover gets factored into overall grid forecasting just like other effects on demand that are weather related.

pv_n00b

Occupation
During a previous discussion on this topic, I mentioned the 'solar mini-split' systems. These are mini-split heat pumps with a built in DC-DC converter that allows the connection of solar panels, and software modified to properly manage the unit with changing light levels. The units are capable of being run with PV only, or can be connected to PV and mains.

Key for this discussion: the units are completely incapable of supplying power to the grid. If there is lots of sun and you don't need the AC, then the power is simply not collected.

-Jon
I have seen systems in Hawaii where a PV system with microinverters is connected to a water heater element. The water heater can run on PV to store the energy as hot water or the utility but it's not possible to feed the PV to the utility. The POCO, which is pretty strict about PV in general, allows these with no interconnection agreement.
The key point is that there is no connection between the PV and the utility. So back feed is just not a possibility. POCOs are generally suspicious of any system that depends on a controller provided by the PV system to prevent back feed in a parallel connected system. They just don't trust random control systems that they have not vetted and approved to prevent the PV system from back feeding the utility.

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
I don't think a cloud passing over such a tiny PV system is going to affect grid stability, and it certainly won't any more than the many loads that are variable for some other reason. (In your scenario there's zero effect on distribution systems from variable backfeed.) And I don't think clouds passing from one small system to another have any real effect on grid stability either, especially when aggregated over large balancing authorities either. Cloud cover gets factored into overall grid forecasting just like other effects on demand that are weather related.
EU allows for plug-in grid-tie inverters up to 800W without requiring permitting or approval for similar reasoning. Sure makes all the concerns about parallel generation at any scale being a serious safety issue look rather exaggerated.

pv_n00b

Occupation
EU allows for plug-in grid-tie inverters up to 800W without requiring permitting or approval for similar reasoning. Sure makes all the concerns about parallel generation at any scale being a serious safety issue look rather exaggerated.
No, it makes parallel generation in the EU up to 800W allowed without approval. In the US back in the 80s when PV was being codified utility workers were very concerned that when working on deenergised power lines they would be exposed to PV generated voltages from inverters connected to the denergised lines. They did not set a floor value, it was any PV. That has just followed us through to today. Just like the lockable visible blade PV disconnect switch. Like a utility truck full of locks going from house to house and locking out PV systems when line work was being done is going to happen. At one time that was the utility plan and drove the requirement that now is an anachronism.

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
No, it makes parallel generation in the EU up to 800W allowed without approval. In the US back in the 80s when PV was being codified utility workers were very concerned that when working on deenergised power lines they would be exposed to PV generated voltages from inverters connected to the denergised lines. They did not set a floor value, it was any PV. That has just followed us through to today. Just like the lockable visible blade PV disconnect switch. Like a utility truck full of locks going from house to house and locking out PV systems when line work was being done is going to happen. At one time that was the utility plan and drove the requirement that now is an anachronism.
So the US code was originally set due to utility workers concerned about safety without exceptions for low power grid-tied inverters even though the inverters are designed to shutoff in grid outages. I suspect the original code in EU was also set without exceptions for similar reasons. I hope the general consensus agrees with you that it's anachronism now. But I wonder if the utility workers in US have changed their minds and wouldn't try to block proposals to make exceptions for low power grid-tied inverters.

jaggedben

Occupation
... But I wonder if the utility workers in US have changed their minds and wouldn't try to block proposals to make exceptions for low power grid-tied inverters.
They have no incentive to change and would surely stand against if asked. The impetus for change would have to come from organized consumers. (Which if we further discuss might get 'political'.)

One difference between the EU and US might be (I'm kind of speculating here) that the EU might actually have some consumer safety agencies cracking down on the sale or preventing the importation of small inverters that aren't listed, whereas the US effectively does not. The utility worker safety issue is really about whether the products will actually turn off when the grid loses power. The amount of power they backfeed is a different issue, which mostly affects the functioning of distribution systems.

utility workers were very concerned that when working on deenergised power lines they would be exposed to PV generated voltages from inverters connected to the denergised lines.
I have a hard time understanding that concern. I admit I am not a lineman and unfamiliar with their specific procedures, but I can't imagine a crew playing Russian roulette with any MV line unless it is completely isolated from every source and load. At any moment you could have a brother in law doing something stupid with a generator.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have a hard time understanding that concern. I admit I am not a lineman and unfamiliar with their specific procedures, but I can't imagine a crew playing Russian roulette with any MV line unless it is completely isolated from every source and load. At any moment you could have a brother in law doing something stupid with a generator.
Although in most cases during a grid outage a household inverter or generator that kept running without being isolated from the grid would be feeding into what is essentially a short circuit. It wouldn't run for long.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
If these things were limited to 800 watts, what is to stop somebody from buying 10 of them and plugging them in all around the house?

And I've seen lots of rural electrical services that were a bunch of poles off the road with their own transformer on the last pole. Lots of those MV pole lines running through wooded areas also where the potential for a downed wire is pretty high

Although in most cases during a grid outage a household inverter or generator that kept running without being isolated from the grid would be feeding into what is essentially a short circuit. It wouldn't run for long.
Right, unless its a small section of line with only a few houses on it. Either way, I doubt lineman are making assumptions about the line being dead. And the same thing applies to PV inverters: even if its not a 1741 inverter, its almost certainly going to trip out from a perceived overload. So whether it be a generator or PV, I am not buying this rogue back feed killing lineman idea.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Right, unless its a small section of line with only a few houses on it. Either way, I doubt lineman are making assumptions about the line being dead. And the same thing applies to PV inverters: even if its not a 1741 inverter, its almost certainly going to trip out from a perceived overload. So whether it be a generator or PV, I am not buying this rogue back feed killing lineman idea.
But it's not just linepersons who could get electrocuted. What if a small child touched the downed wire?

And how do we know that the inverters are good quality? Those things could be backfeeding dirty electricity back to the line. That could ruin their neighbors appliances and all the wiring in their house

But it's not just linepersons who could get electrocuted. What if a small child touched the downed wire?

And how do we know that the inverters are good quality? Those things could be backfeeding dirty electricity back to the line. That could ruin their neighbors appliances and all the wiring in their house
Certainly possibilities, although seems extremely unlikely to me. Mostly ungrounded 4800 around here, unlikely a downed line is going to trip out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.