Plug Tail vs. Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky 134

How do these compare to installations of pressure plate devices without pigtailing the feed-in and feed-out? Many companies don't want time wasted on pigtailing devices. They have trimout guys go thru with a small screwgun and attach both blacks and both whites to the device, which is a very fast process. That saves time during rough in since the only thing that needs to be made up is the grounds.

I never liked using the device as a means of splicing, prefer the pigtail method myself. I looked at the plugtail devices and I don't see the savings. Either way you still need to cut the conductors, splice them together with the pigtail or plugtail and terminate to the device. The only difference is the termination part. Either it's connecting the pigtail to the device via pressure plates or connecting the plugtail to the device. Yes, connecting the plugtail will be a few second quicker but I don't see that compensating for the increased cost of the device.

M4gery

I never liked using the device as a means of splicing, prefer the pigtail method myself.
Me too. But when you have thousands of devices some contractors want it done as fast as possible.

I looked at the plugtail devices and I don't see the savings. Either way you still need to cut the conductors, splice them together with the pigtail or plugtail and terminate to the device. The only difference is the termination part. Either it's connecting the pigtail to the device via pressure plates or connecting the plugtail to the device. Yes, connecting the plugtail will be a few second quicker but I don't see that compensating for the increased cost of the device.

I think the main difference is that all the work could be done much sooner, even during rough in, when there is not a big push. Then at the end when the pressure is on the devices will go in much quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.