Plugmold compatible with mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
No, I just use individual Wiremold boxes with receptacles and plates, with the narrow end butted up to the back skirt.

That leaves room for the LED ribbon which I place about 1.5" from the front skirt with side skirts V-cut where needed.

I just called my recent customers and they said I could come by tomorrow to take a few pictures of this installation.

View attachment 2561623
Yeah come a same Box that I use. I'm just saying there's no real knockout for a cable connector

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do you use one of the channel KOs to bring wire in? Wouldn't be a real cable KO

But truth be told, that's what I use to make up plugmold instead of a plugmold end feed

Reason is the end feed is tall, and visible under cabinet. Wiremold j-box is the same depth as plumold.

I don't suggest it anywhere that the inspectors actually do their job. View attachment 2561619
I'm sure that they are bonded together.
Is there a mechanical connection between the two?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It has a ground screw, but not a bonding strap to join Plugmold to it
No, and I agree they're not designed to work together like that. The tangs do bond 500/700 channel.

I put individual receptacles in individual boxes, making sure the NM sheath enters the twist-outs.

garbo

Under the upper counter should not be an issue with the plugmold end fitting.

View attachment 2561615
Think it might be a wiremold # 5785 connector. Work great. Had some knuckleheads attempt to make 3 splices inside these little box. Best practice is to use the wiremold wire connectors and make sure beveled edge faces out. Had a good customer who wanted me to install over a hundred feet of plugmold around his ruff not that leveled basement poured concrete walls. Told him I would have to charge him for a wig because I would be pulling my hair out trying to get covers snapped on. Ended up mounting nice painted 1 by 4" painted wood down walls every 8' with 1900 boxes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Think it might be a wiremold # 5785 connector. Work great. Had some knuckleheads attempt to make 3 splices inside these little box. Best practice is to use the wiremold wire connectors and make sure beveled edge faces out. Had a good customer who wanted me to install over a hundred feet of plugmold around his ruff not that leveled basement poured concrete walls. Told him I would have to charge him for a wig because I would be pulling my hair out trying to get covers snapped on. Ended up mounting nice painted 1 by 4" painted wood down walls every 8' with 1900 boxes.

I usually stagger the splices inside the channel and use those splice kits. They fir nicely in the channel

1659619365910.png

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just called my recent customers and they said I could come by tomorrow to take a few pictures of this installation.
And here are some:

Two views of the cabinet between the kitchen entry and the dining-room pass-through:

IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1110.JPG

And a couple of shots of the long cabinets on the wall opposite the above pics:

IMG_1104.JPG IMG_1105.JPG

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Larry:

Looks fantastic!

With reference to the questions about what kind of connectors to secure MC or NM cable, I have used the "ALKCO" (remember the "little inch" undercabinet fluorescent fixtures) connectors. They only need about a 1/2" hole, as opposed to the traditional 7/8. I wish I knew where to get these lately, as my stash is getting low..

Just a thought for a connector.

Howard

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From an inspector's view: Watch your box fill ! Customers always want the more shallow boxes so the box can't be seen but boxes such as Wiremold 5748S, a 1" deep box, only has a capacity of 13.5 cuin.
Constant inspection issue.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry:

Looks fantastic!

Just a thought for a connector.
Thank you. I usually place switches against the rear skirt, too, but this was an unusual kitchen layout.

The two dimmers are on your left when entering the kitchen, and the other switch is for the disposer.

I use the EGC to make sure the NM sheath stays in the box, not unlike NM in plastic boxes w/o clamps.

A 1/8" ID rubber hose slit along one side makes a cheap and easy Wiremold-box KO protective bushing.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From an inspector's view: Watch your box fill ! Customers always want the more shallow boxes so the box can't be seen but boxes such as Wiremold 5748S, a 1" deep box, only has a capacity of 13.5 cuin.
Constant inspection issue.
Shhh! 🤫

Status
Not open for further replies.