Plywood backer required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree especially with two layers of 5/8 rock.

Even if you use strut you would still toggle bolt the strut to the wall.
Holding the weight wouldn't be the issue, it would be the designs fire resistive ability being compromised.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
We always install our electrical panels on plywood. I don’t think it’s required but it does look a lot neater imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Back when I was working as a tech, I tried these without much success. There might be a knack that I didn't have.
There are good ones and bad ones. The good ones work really well. The bad (cheap) ones' plastic pieces are brittle and will snap, rendering the toggle useless and making you crazy. Also, it's hard to tell when you buy them at the big box store if they're good or terrible. I try to avoid them too; I had to use them in my own block wall basement, as the block was too soft for any other type of expanding anchors.

SceneryDriver

scook56

New one for me on this one. Installing a panel in a commercial office building, 277/480. Mounted it on a double sheetrock fire wall. The electrical inspector is requiring that I first mount plywood to the wall and mount my panel to that. I’m not finding anything NEC to back it up, maybe it’s a local thing. Is there anything in the NEC that calls those out??
Multiple assemblies mounted on the fire wall:
Panels, troughs, supports for conduits, etc.
Covered the wall, 8ft W by 12ft H, 3/4 plywood and intumescent paint.
This served as excellent mounting for all items.

lordofthisworld

New one for me on this one. Installing a panel in a commercial office building, 277/480. Mounted it on a double sheetrock fire wall. The electrical inspector is requiring that I first mount plywood to the wall and mount my panel to that. I’m not finding anything NEC to back it up, maybe it’s a local thing. Is there anything in the NEC that calls those out??
I don't think it's code but majority of electric rooms now are putting up 3/4" plywood to support the panels and other cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.