Plywood on exterior wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonny1982

Is it necessary to install plywood behind an electrical panel if it is on an outside wall? If so, where in codebook?

JDB3

I see no reason for it. The main thing is to have the panel securely fastened to whatever material is there. In some cases where I am in doubt about the strength of the surface, I install kendorf behind the panel, & fasten that to the framing members of the structure & go from there.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Is it necessary to install plywood behind an electrical panel if it is on an outside wall? If so, where in codebook?

Are you talking inside a basement?

In the old days when foundations were built in field stone you would put up plywood, today you can use plywood and studs or unistrut, but it's not required in the code. But mounting a panel direct on a concrete wall and you will get condensation in the panel and that is not too good.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

In the old days when foundations were built in field stone you would put up plywood, today you can use plywood and studs or unistrut, but it's not required in the code. But mounting a panel direct on a concrete wall and you will get condensation in the panel and that is not too good.

This is why, if fire alarm panels have to be mounted to an outside wall, we put up a couple Unistrut rails and a plywood panel and mount the FACP to the plywood.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

It's not in the NEC, but it is in our state electrical code that we shall not mount panels to concrete. If wood is used, it has to be pressure treated and marked as such, and of course we have to use fasteners that won't be affected by the chemicals in the wood.

I totally understand why our state requires this, as being surrounded by the Great Lakes provides for some horrendous humidity. There are times when it literally drips off basement walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.