PM Ability

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It fairly easy to see if an estimate is bad. How does one gauge( or what do they analyze) to determine if a project manager is doing a good job?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Getting the job done on time would be huge, especially with LDs in place.

Ability to be creative in handling the inevitable curveballs that will be thrown on any project. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

And the ability to get along with and inspire the crew is critical. Along with getting along with inspectors and owners agents.

Before I went on my own I worked as an equipment operator for a contractor who was doing a lot of PW road work. The super managed to fight with every inspector we ever had to deal with, which made the inspectors go out of their way to find problems and jam up the work. Ended up costing the owner I don’t even know how much money, apparently nearly, or did, get thrown off a job, and finally had to stop bidding that work.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Getting the job done on time would be huge, especially with LDs in place.

Ability to be creative in handling the inevitable curveballs that will be thrown on any project. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

And the ability to get along with and inspire the crew is critical. Along with getting along with inspectors and owners agents.

Before I went on my own I worked as an equipment operator for a contractor who was doing a lot of PW road work. The super managed to fight with every inspector we ever had to deal with, which made the inspectors go out of their way to find problems and jam up the work. Ended up costing the owner I don’t even know how much money, apparently nearly, or did, get thrown off a job, and finally had to stop bidding that work.
Makes sense but some of those things are hard for another person to gauge/assess.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I would be looking at the scheduling and material delivery timelines. Also what kind of items do they choose to prioritize, do they pick small items to get hung up on, or do they see that small battles can cause huge problems later?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks...I have a feeling a PM I'm working with is not doing a great job rtunning the jobs I estimated. The jobs, for the most part, are doing ok(not great) but I don't know the right questions to ask from a PM perspective.

scrubbin

Occupation
maintenance Tech
You might ask him how he thinks things are going and if he is having any issues. See if he is having personal (himself or with crew issues), supply or inspector issues.
Due a yearly review with him, where you both fill out the review form you make. Rating between 1-4, where: 1(does not meet expectation), 2(partially meets expectation), 3(meets expectations), to 4 (exceeds Expectation) for the items you believe are important for the position or they can be general. Examples: Work Quality, Job Knowledge, Leadership, Meets or exceeds deadlines..ect. Then have a meeting and discuss it. At least then you'll both know how both of you feel.
Also maybe start an incentive program where the faster (without issues) work is completed there is a pay bonus.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Definitely see if the subs are having problems with him, you can see this first hand by being at the jobsite for a few days.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If the estimates are realistic, the only fair way to grade his work is if he meets budget, schedule, and the quality of work estimated.
Not intending to be contrary, but the only fair way is to set guidelines and expectations up front and measure accomplishment. You listed goals, but they may not be the priorities or the goals of the company. For example, often times the relationship with the contractor or the owner is more important than the amount of money. And the flip side, of, "we are never going to do another job with this contractor." So wring every valid dime out of the project.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Is this a PM for your company?

How do you determine that he’s not doing a great job?

Are his projects coming in over your estimate? Are your estimates realistic?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is this a PM for your company?

How do you determine that he’s not doing a great job?

Are his projects coming in over your estimate? Are your estimates realistic?
Yes he is.

So determing if estimate is realistic should happen before you get the job during the review. Sometimes things are missed.