PM vs. Estimator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Can those of you who've done both full-time at some point give some feedback as to the pros/cons of each position. I'm told a PM is a more stressful job. I actually thought estimating was. Thanks.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am both the PM and the estimator in my small company. And since I am also the owner, all the mistakes the idiot estimator makes effect my bottom line.

Jcabrejos

New User
Estimator vs PM

Estimator vs PM

I have done both simultaneously in the past and that is very stressful, now I believe that managing the work is more stressful that estimating it since you are responsible for everything that happens in the job and there are more aspects of the project that can go wrong.
Estimating also has its share of stress, depends of your ability to handle people if you don't handle the personnel well I would say estimating is less stressful for you.

kwired

Electron manager
I am both the PM and the estimator in my small company. And since I am also the owner, all the mistakes the idiot estimator makes effect my bottom line.
Yes.

Currently running a 1 man company, talk about stress, when the estimator, PM, lead foreman, and primary installer can't agree on anything there is a lot of stress. Then the chief bean counter (wife of course) gets on all of them and makes stress even worse.:)

mstrlucky74

Yes.

Currently running a 1 man company, talk about stress, when the estimator, PM, lead foreman, and primary installer can't agree on anything there is a lot of stress. Then the chief bean counter (wife of course) gets on all of them and makes stress even worse.:)

:eek:hmy::eek:hmy::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.