Pneumatic Mail - Control Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

abetovr

Hi,

I believe that many readers know what a Pneumatic Mail System is and how it works, so I'll skip that (unless someone asks).

A local Pneumatic Mail contractor wants to install all the 6" PVC pipes, and then cable-tie-wrap the control cable that travels all along the pipes to the 6" pipe.

1- ?Can the contractor cable-tie-wrap the control cable to the PVC pipe? (I mean, is it NEC allowed?)

2- ?Is there a way I can enforce him (via NEC article) to use a raceway?

-Al

iwire

Staff member
The PVC pipe he is installing is not a being used as a raceway so the NEC does not apply to it.

But would you normally allow wiring fasted to plumbing pipes or duct work?

abetovr

Thanks for your answer...

I wouldn't allow either... but I must provide the NEC facts to this contractor...
?may someone give some NEC article numbers where plumbing pipes and like are not allowed as supports?

iwire said:
The PVC pipe he is installing is not a being used as a raceway so the NEC does not apply to it.

But would you normally allow wiring fasted to plumbing pipes or duct work?

abetovr

Well, this is almost the same "problem" I am having!

Answers anyone?

dbuckley said:
Without knowing the answer, would it be acceptable for a central vac system to have its control cable tiewrapped to the vac tube?

walkerj

As far as the control wiring, the few I have done I ran in conduit to a point designated by the "Pneumatic Mail" guys. We then fished their wires and they terminated.
It seems it would be better off in conduit especially if it's outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.