POE Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Hello, I have never seen or used this before, Was going over Mike's DVD about 725 and this came up. I made a note last time to look into this type of system. Any one have any suppliers they would recommend, found a few but I don't know how reliable they are.
I want to get a few and mess around with it.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I like the PoE lighting, it clearly works better (in offices) than all this wireless stuff with tiny "10 year" batteries.
Putting a tiny bit of 48 VDC over comm cable seems to work better than putting a tiny bit of comm over 120/277 AC power line.
The drawback is Cisco and others resisted having a standardized system, so mixing and matching different systems does not always work, not really a big issue but make sure you design the system and order the parts.

I would avoid those battery powered wireless motion sensor systems, tons of callbacks, and teenagers can hack into the wifi and play with the lights.
Here are some links:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I like the PoE lighting, it clearly works better (in offices) than all this wireless stuff with tiny "10 year" batteries.
Putting a tiny bit of 48 VDC over comm cable seems to work better than putting a tiny bit of comm over 120/277 AC power line.
The drawback is Cisco and others resisted having a standardized system, so mixing and matching different systems does not always work, not really a big issue but make sure you design the system and order the parts.

I would avoid those battery powered wireless motion sensor systems, tons of callbacks, and teenagers can hack into the wifi and play with the lights.
Here are some links:

I haven't had issues with Lutron wireless lighting controls. They are NOT WiFi. Lutron has their own licensed wireless frequencies which is a big advantage of using their wireless equipment.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The problem I have with it is that every fixture is a network endpoint just like every phone and computer. That means a CAT5 run from each fixture back to the distribution frame room along with all the rest of the normal cables from the wall jacks, etc. If multiple fixtures could be daisy chained thus limiting cable runs I could see the system being viable. But as of now I don't see an advantage because of the added labor.

-Hal

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The problem I have with it is that every fixture is a network endpoint just like every phone and computer. That means a CAT5 run from each fixture back to the distribution frame room along with all the rest of the normal cables from the wall jacks, etc. If multiple fixtures could be daisy chained thus limiting cable runs I could see the system being viable. But as of now I don't see an advantage because of the added labor.

-Hal
You just need to wait for POWiFi to be released. :)

AC\DC

Occupation
EC

-Hal
several sellers of POE on there website say saving is with not hiring an electrician😅

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
several sellers of POE on there website say saving is with not hiring an electrician😅

I was going to mention that but preferred to stick to the technical aspects. It can't be disputed that this is a bad idea only designed to put money in the IT and LV contractor's pockets.

-Hal

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

-Hal
Seems like Commscope's Redwood system does allow a couple of fixtures on one cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.