Poke Thrus

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you have a lot of 6" poke thru going into a metal deck and poured slab how do you create the opening in the slab so that when they pour you can get your poke thru in. I know you have ot cut the metal deck but would you put a sleeve in or the actual poke thru prior to pouring?

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Why would you do that with a poured slab?
Because it's faster than installing sleeves for each poke thru device and sealing around them. I have done blockouts where I have several feeder conduits in multiple story buildings before. That is practical to do and you either fill the space with packing material and then fire caulk or pour concrete after the installation of conduits. But for poke-thrus, mark where you want them, use apprentices to cut them all in the same day, making sure you have a guy below with a bucket to catch water and the core should it fall out of the bit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why would you do that with a poured slab?
Poke throughs are typically designed to go through a cored hole which allows them to maintain the fire rating of the slab. I've never seen one but someone might manufacturer poke throughs that can go through a sleeve. If you removed the sleeve prior to installation then it would be the same as a core so in theory you could install sleeves prior to the pour but then you would need to cut out the metal decking.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Those are not designed for the metal decks mentioned in the OP. They work great for wood formed decks.
Not sure on actual listing (and not sure it defeats the listing...) Works good if you cut the hat channel, insert and screw from below and..
Duct tape!
Certainly requires a nice snug hole.
On wood decks we make em w/pvc and small 90° angle straps.
Op did say ALOT so figure something cheaper than core. Or get square foam blocks all cut and shaped nicely approved by egnr...