Pool bonding grid system for an above ground pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

syburr

Hi,

I just got off the phone with the local building inspector. I asked him to explain to me what he thought the NEC wanted in a pool bonding grid system for an above ground pool.

He explained to me that the NEC wants a #8 awg solid copper conductor connected to the pool wall, then to the grounding (bonding) lug on the pool pump, then to connect this conductor to the service panel ground or neutral. Is this what the NEC intended?

Can you clear this up for me?

Thanks.

electricmanscott

Re: Pool bonding grid system for an above ground pool

You do not connect the # 8 to any circuit conductors, this is actually done indirectly by connecting the bond wire to the motor. What you are doing is bonding all the metal parts together.

syburr

Re: Pool bonding grid system for an above ground pool

What about the installation of a double insulated pump?

NEC 680.26.4: "Where a double-insulated water-pump motor is installed under the provisions of this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor that is of sufficient length to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor shall be extended from the bonding grid to an accessible point in the motor vicinity. Where there is no connection between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit."

NICK D

Look At 680.26a Fpn: The 8 Awg Or Larger Solid Copper Bonding Conductor Shall Not Be Required To Be Extended Or Attached To Any Remote Panelboard, Service Equipment, Or Any Electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.