pool bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

Ok so I started the pool install today I spoke about the other week. When I arrived I immediately checked for continuity from the very top rail, the rail that a person would hang over if in pool, to the uprights and to the top rim which is under the top rail. No continuity. I did this from inspectors advice. Now the four clips are in place at equidistance around the pool and they are connected to the bottom rim. After taking a cap off I found that the top rail and the uprights are connected by a resin bracket. Each top rail is approx. 4 ft in length and connect to a resin plate at each upright and do not connect to eachother.

I called the inspector and must say I never had a more pleasant person, Ive dealt with him in the past and had great communication, but he actually said I will be right out and arrived 20 minutes later, no charge. Thanx Commonwealth code inspection. He inspected and came up with same problem. In that in order for all metal around the pool to be bonded each of the rails will need to be mechanically connected to eachother and a bond to the uprights at each point. Has anybody had an issue like this in the past. Now there is also the fact that the installer did not follow the instructions in that he did not install the top clip to the top rim for bonding nor did he install aluminum tape on the top rim. But while myself and the inspector looked at the install instructions it doesn't make much sense in regards to the aluminum tape because it doesn't make a mechanical bond to the uprights. So this is boggling.

Im adding this I went to the next door neighbors pool which is similar but older and found that the top plate that connects the top rails together with the uprights is metal and connects all three pieces of metal. which would serve to be mechanically connected and be sufficient in the eyes of the AHJ. So why would the connecting plate be resin this doesn't make sense.

If anyone has had similar issues, or ideas please let me know. Thanx in advance

Last edited:

J.P.

Why would you have to bond a resin mounted rail?

On the other hand it sounds like the problem falls back to the installer and this shouldn't be your problem.

Did the pool pass inspection?

FREEBALL

the rail itself is aluminum bolted to a resin bracket which the same resin bracket holds an aluminum upright and another aluminum rail. Well he was there on a courtesy call wasn't inspection day, this is a pool installer/manufacture issue I will complete my stuff on Friday and offer any further assistance I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.