Pool bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockedby277v

There is a metal grate on a floor trench drain around a swimming pool. It goes around the entire pool with lengths of 10' for the metal grate. The trench drain itself is plastic. Anyone find a clean & quick way to bond these before? I will need to run a jumper between each section I plan to penetrate the side of the trench drain to somehow bond it.

TIA

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Are the grates removable to remove debris from the trench? Complicates the bonding... James bonding...

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Yes exactly that. I would need to run a jumper between each grate

If not a jumper, a guaranteed-not-to-fail clip or lug that will re-connect a section of grate to the bonding system when it's replaced. Sort of like the lugs on the back of a meter. And this clip/lug will not fail after years of being removed and replaced by non-electrician life guards &c.

You'd have to have a continuous bar along the entire trench, with clips/lugs spaced to accept the grate, otherwise removing a section of grate would remove the bonding as well.

Shockedby277v

Why couldn’t I run a #8 solid the entire length and run a tail off to each piece of grate indivually? I would still need to find a acceptable method for attaching .... a lug with a through bolt will create issues and it isnt really thick enough to drill and tap ....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why couldn’t I run a #8 solid the entire length and run a tail off to each piece of grate indivually? I would still need to find a acceptable method for attaching .... a lug with a through bolt will create issues and it isnt really thick enough to drill and tap ....

You could do that but again the connections will be difficult. Why not push for plastic. The metal seems absolutely insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.