Pool Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwoodson

2002 NEC 680.26(B)(1) How do you do bonding in a method that will be approved if using epoxy-coated rebar? New to this, but need an answer quick.

dansan

Re: Pool Bonding

680.26(b)(1) reads that if the reinforcing steel is effectively insulated ( shows epoxy coated rebar in the handbook) then it is not required to be bonded.

mwoodson

It goes on to say that an alternative must be provided if the rebar is epoxy coated, but there are no details for this requirement. This is what I'm trying to find out.

G

Good catch! Please post the answer when you find it.

Speaking hypothetically you can run a #8 solid wire and create a bonding ring and use that to tie everything in to. The code mentions a bonding grid. Not sure how you make the ring into an actual grid. Check with your AHJ for details.

The bonding system is not for fault clearing. It's to avoid voltage touch potential (voltage gradient).

The code says it's not required to bond to the electrical service or to the GEC. I like to bolt a bonding lug to my service equipment. Any comments on that? It makes sense to me to bond anything that might have a potential. Even with plastic piping chlorinated water can carry voltage.

pierre

Woodson
The Equipotential bonding system for a concrete deck pool is essential. If the rebar is epoxy coated MY solution would be to take bare 8 AWG and run it around the deck, within the concrete (tie wrapped to the rebar) bonding to any metallic equipment necessary to be bonded. Remember, concrete is a hydrostatic material, even more so when in contact with the earth. With stray current being more of an issue today than ever before, I would spend a little more money and cover my A$$.

Pierre

G

Not to get off on a tangent, but isn't concrete only hydrostatic until it sets? Or, more likely there is more to hydrostatic than I am currently aware of. My current knowledge of hydrostatic is limited to fluid mechanics. I look forward to the rest of the story about hydrostatic.

../Wayne C.

[ October 13, 2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

Status
Not open for further replies.