Pool cover switch too close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Motorized pool cover key pad switch is too close to pool. Is it not considered a switch? The motor is under a bench 2 ft away from pool. The key pad is mounted on that bench. Thanks

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Motorized pool cover key pad switch is too close to pool. Is it not considered a switch? The motor is under a bench 2 ft away from pool. The key pad is mounted on that bench. Thanks

So I'm guessing the "bench" is actually the box that can be made or the manufacturer will provide it. This is the case when a cover is added after construction of a pool. Sometimes the box is wood or aluminum.

We build gunite pools so we form out and "shoot" the trough during the shoot for the pool. The motor is separated by the pool wall generally 12" thick. The cover reel is set in the trough and it's covered by stones the same as the coping stones for the pool. These cover stones are flush with the patio.
The key switch is set away from the pool where an operator can see the pool before closing the cover. That's code.

We usually keep it 10' away to keep out of patio areas or traffic areas.

I have seen switches under the stones.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
So I'm guessing the "bench" is actually the box that can be made or the manufacturer will provide it. This is the case when a cover is added after construction of a pool. Sometimes the box is wood or aluminum.

We build gunite pools so we form out and "shoot" the trough during the shoot for the pool. The motor is separated by the pool wall generally 12" thick. The cover reel is set in the trough and it's covered by stones the same as the coping stones for the pool. These cover stones are flush with the patio.
The key switch is set away from the pool where an operator can see the pool before closing the cover. That's code.

We usually keep it 10' away to keep out of patio areas or traffic areas.

I have seen switches under the stones.
Thanks. They mounted it on the outside of the bench facing the pool only about two feet away from the water. Short 24” SO cord, so not many options. Does this switch meet code?

hubco

It is my understanding there shall be no electrical components (switch or receptacle or light fixture) within 5' from the waters edge unless separated by a permanent barrier (the switch in the pit under the stone is ok but what you are describing sounds like a hazard/violation

Status
Not open for further replies.