Pool deck area heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... If conditions are calling for it to function is anyone using the pool? Does the pool even have water in it in such conditions? Some do leave water in the pool through the winter anymore - but also have a cover over it making it unusable.
Self-regulating heat cable might be energized all year. It'll draw only a negligible amount of current and emit only a negligible amount of heat when the ambient temperature's above freezing, but it will still be energized and still be a hazard. "Not in use during the summer" is NOT sufficient to mitigate the hazard.

And a thermostat -- if used -- might be cranked up to the max when it's not needed, or the contacts might weld closed, likewise creating a hazard.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I looked at the entire code section cited. I am changing my mind. Not because of embedment or not but the cables in question are not for comfort heating.;)

:?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A deck can be concrete and the cable can't be below the decking. Is inside the concrete deck considered below the deck? I don't know but I can see reason to not do what the op has stated. Not sure I would take the risk

It doesn't matter what the tape is heating. The wording probably never anticipated this type of install so I am not willing to chance it.

mwm1752

What a slew of remarks & I appreciate all views -- to be clear this pool also has a hot tub feature which is still considered an outdoor pool therefore it will be used during the winter -- yes the regulated heat tape does draw current generally to 80 C -- another concern would be that does the cable need to reach the drain at the top of the concrete to work properly in which an unqualified individual may coil it on the deck surface to keep the opening clear of ice -- while embedded fits the narrative of proper installation in order to heat the surface (which doers not apply) it is clearly below the deck -- the real struggle is that radiant type cables & deicing cables are very similar in the way they they are made, function, & voltages - most likely the exterior sheathing being rated for concrete contact or not is the difference.

1981 is when the code first referenced this application around pools -- please keep opining

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
1981 is when the code first referenced this application around pools -- please keep opining

Wow you researched it back to 1981. I would say that is before the wide use of GFCI devices yet a GFPD device.

I think this section needs a update, I bet it has been overlooked.

mwm1752

I've amassed NFPA sponsored handbooks with commentaries from the 1st edition 1965 -- incredibly valuable in decision making process

Status
Not open for further replies.