Pool Equipment room bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidt77

Guys:

I am working on a project, and a question was raised on whether we have to bond every single item in the pump room, "motor, pump, ..Etc", or not, What are your recommendation? and is there anything in the code about this....

Thanks

sidt77

Re: Pool Equipment room bonding

Just a correction, my main question, is that if we already have a hot wire, ground and neutral for a receptacle, can we use the same ground to bond all other equipments in the room, or we need to run a separate grounding to all the equipments including the receptacle.

earlydean

For all electrical equipment associated with the recirculating system of the specified body of water, any pump motors, underwater luminaires, and panels and their feeders, that supply pool equipment, the equipment grounding conductor run with the supply conductors is sufficient for grounding purposes, provided that the EGCs are connected to non-current carrying metal parts of the equipment; RMC, IMC, RNC, and listed MC cable are the wiring methods (EMT on and in and ENT in buildings); and the EGC is insulated copper minimum #12. See 680.6,.21(A)(1),.23(F) &.25(B)

Bonding is done for all metal equipment in and around the pool up to 12 feet above and five feet around. Also, all pump motors, pool cover motors, heaters, purifiers, etc. shall be tied into the bonding grid. 680.26.

Bring the #8 solid copper bonding conductor to any pumps, but it is not necessary to bring it to the receptacle. The purpose is to create a common voltage potential around the pool. The grid is extended to the circulating system to eliminate any currents from flowing in the piping water.

G

It has always puzzled me that there is no provision made to bond metal pool filters (stainless steel ones, etc.). They are hard to bond, but I like to bond them. I usually end up extending the nipple on the bleeder valve and then putting a bonding clamp on that nipple. It's a moot point if the filter is fiberglass. Also, if the filter is metal, and the piping is all metal (copper) then in a sense the filter is bonded, but again I like to get any metal filters in the #8 bonding loop. It also makes sense to me to bond everything to the pool panel so there is no potential between the pool panel and the pool equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.