Pool Houses

ebello

We are looking at a pool house that is fully equipped with a kitchen including gas range and dishwasher. A full bathroom, hot water heater and a small area for sitting.
The electrical contractor argues that the pool house is not considered a dwelling even though it's located at a residential location and therefore is exempt from the rules provided in 210.8(A) and 210.12(B). Any thought?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
a. Look at the definition of "Dwelling Unit" and see if that area qualifies
b. 210.8(B) is for non-dwelling (A) or (B) one would be required.

Please update your profile to show occupation and relevancy to the electrical industry.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Does the pool house have its own breaker box? Sub-box from the house??
GFCI/AFCI would be a good idea (especially if you've got lots of people with wet swim suits).

retirede

Since you didn’t mention sleeping quarters, I’d agree, it’s not a dwelling unit. Like Augie said, the GFCI requirements won’t be much different. But you get to avoid AFCIs!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We are looking at a pool house that is fully equipped with a kitchen including gas range and dishwasher. A full bathroom, hot water heater and a small area for sitting.
The electrical contractor argues that the pool house is not considered a dwelling even though it's located at a residential location and therefore is exempt from the rules provided in 210.8(A) and 210.12(B). Any thought?
If 210.8(A) does not apply, 210.8(B) does. I agree that it is not a dwelling unit and nothing in 210.12 applies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The kitchen puts it over the line between dwelling and not a dwelling. Sometimes you just have to use a percentage. The construction is what % of a dwelling? If it were just the couch area and a bathroom it could be 100% of a non-dwelling. So it is 100% of a dwelling with a bathroom, kitchen, sleeping room. Here in California a solar array is mandatory on the 100% dwelling.
The OP says it has an area for sitting, not sleeping. I would not count this as a dwelling unit. It needs both an area for sitting (living) and for sleeping to become a dwelling unit.
Dwelling Unit.
A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation. (CMP-2)

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
As do I, and this does not meet the definition. Calling this a dwelling could result in a malicious prosecution charge against the government agency that the inspector is employed by.
Only way I could see it applied is if the sitting area had the ability to have a bed like a studio apartment. Even so most electrical inspectors I've dealt with will look at what the building plans say and if it says sitting area not sleeping area or something like that then I'd be allowed to keep going with the assumption that it's not a dwelling but is instead a detached kitchen and eating area.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If the architectural drawings don't indicate a sleeping area and there is no provision for sleeping at the time of inspection, the AHJ better be ready for a legal fight.
California may enforce "what ifs" but thankfully TN doesn't :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
The lack of furniture has never stopped a final inspection from taking place.

It's sorta like baseball. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Some get rained out.... but you suit up for all of them. The threat of a legal fight is not part of the decision making process.
With large enough monetary rewards it often can be :)