Pool Pump Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpal

I just rcvd this notice not that I intend to work in in the state which adopted this amendment to the "08" anytime soon but I would be interested in back round if anyone cares to chime in

Section 2705 Equipotential Bonding GFCI Protection

2705.1 NFPA 70 - 08: National Electric Code, Article 680 (Swimming Pools, Fountains, and Similar Installation), Section 680.22(B), GFCI Protection, is amended to read as follows:

(B) GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors from branch circuits with short-circuit and ground-fault protection rated 15 or 20 amperes, 125 volt or 240 volt, single phase, whether by receptacle or direct connection, shall be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Exception: One-and two-family dwellings.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
what State ? apparently shock hazards that exist on multi-family or commercial pools don't appear on one and two family dwelling installations. Makes sense to me:), electricity is fickle that way

I believe the proposal for that came from this guy...

3933685460_b91d92c2aa.jpg

ozark01

I just rcvd this notice not that I intend to work in in the state which adopted this amendment to the "08" anytime soon but I would be interested in back round if anyone cares to chime in

Section 2705 Equipotential Bonding GFCI Protection

2705.1 NFPA 70 - 08: National Electric Code, Article 680 (Swimming Pools, Fountains, and Similar Installation), Section 680.22(B), GFCI Protection, is amended to read as follows:

(B) GFCI Protection. Outlets supplying pool pump motors from branch circuits with short-circuit and ground-fault protection rated 15 or 20 amperes, 125 volt or 240 volt, single phase, whether by receptacle or direct connection, shall be provided with ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Exception: One-and two-family dwellings.

Is that exception in the 2008 code? I can't find it.

stevenj76

Haven't pool pumps typically been on GFCI breakers and bonded to a lug on the motor frame?

Here's one better, how do you GFCI a pool pump that's on a VFD? We just bonded it and left it at that.

The VFD was in another space, and we ran the VFD output to a safety switch next to the motor, no fuses because there was not enough working clearance, but we and the inspector forgot about the GFCI issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.