Pool Pumps and Garage Door openers NEC 2020 Load Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyMarky

Occupation
Rochester Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee-Instructor
I am trying to pin this down. I already referenced a previous thread that has since been locked out for discussion:

I believe that a pool pump and a garage door opener should fall under 220.53 appliance loads and have the 75% demand factor for four or more appliances applied to it for the following reasons:

1. NEC 2020 220.14(A) calls out all appliances "or other load" not covered in 220.14(B) through (M) shall be calculated on its own.
(no 75% reduction for 4 or more 220.53). 220.14 (C) specifically mentions motor outlets (sounds like pool pump and the receptacle for garage door opener).

2. NEC 2020 220.53 specifically mentions motors greater than 1/4 HP

3. NEC 2020 220.53 specifically calls out the appliances that should not apply to the 75% demand factor (Range, Dryer, Space Heater, AC)

I am an instructor at the IBEW JATC in Rochester, NY and would love to hear other opinions.

Thank you,

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
in my opinion

I would have no issue applying 75% on a garage door motor. one could argue it meets definition of "appliance." that said, I doubt it substantially adds to service size. Are we talking maybe 500 kW?

pool pump on the other hand-they run for more than 3 hours per day-I would account for the entire load in a demand calc.

no code to back it up.

SparkyMarky

Occupation
Rochester Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee-Instructor
in my opinion

I would have no issue applying 75% on a garage door motor. one could argue it meets definition of "appliance." that said, I doubt it substantially adds to service size. Are we talking maybe 500 kW?

pool pump on the other hand-they run for more than 3 hours per day-I would account for the entire load in a demand calc.

no code to back it up.
Good argument. Seems like the committee needs to sew up some holes in this.

retirede

A garage door opener is simply a piece of cord & plug connected utilization equipment. There is no need to include such in load calcs. No different than other things in your garage that get plugged in to be used. They run for what, about 15 seconds each to open and close?

kwired

Electron manager
in my opinion

no code to back it up.
I don't know where you are seeing 500 kW garage door openers, but many homes only supplied by a 25 kVA transformer, seems like a problem.

Probably just a mistake;)

Strictly following NEC I suppose you do need to include GDO's, but I generally only do for branch circuit considerations, IMO they are kind of negligible loads to service and feeder calculations in a typical dwelling. Something that only draws maybe 4-8 amps for 15 seconds and rarely has more than two cycles in a short time is not going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don't know where you are seeing 500 kW garage door openers, but many homes only supplied by a 25 kVA transformer, seems like a problem.

Probably just a mistake;)

Strictly following NEC I suppose you do need to include GDO's, but I generally only do for branch circuit considerations, IMO they are kind of negligible loads to service and feeder calculations in a typical dwelling. Something that only draws maybe 4-8 amps for 15 seconds and rarely has more than two cycles in a short time is not going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
i assumed the wrong type of door, resulting in an overly conservative design :D

1652801550526.png

nizak

Where would a hot tub be placed in a residential load calculation?

Permanently connected 240 V unit

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.