Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

Comments in RED...

Article 680-----Swimming Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs, Fountains, and Similar Installations

680.2 Definitions. A new definition for “electrically powered pool lift” was added and the definition for storable pools (and
other storable features) was revised.
680.4 Approval of Equipment. A new rule requires electrical equipment associated with pools to be listed.
680.7 Grounding and Bonding Terminals. Grounding and bonding terminals now have specific location-driven requirements.

680.11 Underground Wiring. The cover (burial depth) requirements for pools and similar installations are now no different
than those for other installations. Well...this one will be open to interpretation by the AHJ...since they have taken away the "within 5-feet" of the pool language in 680.10. For example at what distance away from a pool does the scope of 680.11 end?

680.12 Equipment Rooms and Pits. A reminder that pools and similar installations are in corrosive environments was
added.

680.14 Corrosive Environment. A new section provides the requirements for equipment subject to corrosion. Here is another rule with far reaching effects. For example one of my customers has the pool pumps in the basement of his house. Does the basement of a home now need to be wired as a corrosive environment subject to 680.14 with this type of installation?

680.21 Motors. The allowable methods for wiring a pool motor have been greatly simplified.. No more insulated copper equipment grounding conductor required in non-corrosive environments. An insulated copper EGC from service equipment to the pool equipment has been in the Code for years.

680.22 Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment. The requirements for receptacles supplying circulation pumps were
lessened, and new provisions for “low-voltage gas fired” equipment were added.

680.23 Underwater Luminaires. Some unenforceable language about GFCI protection has been removed, and the allowable
wiring methods for underwater luminaires have been simplified. No more insulated copper equipment grounding conductor required in non-corrosive environments. An insulated copper EGC from service equipment to the pool equipment has been in the Code for years.

680.25 Feeders. The wiring methods for feeders supplying pools and similar installations were changed into a reasonable
requirement. And again...same here...No more insulated copper equipment grounding conductor required in non-corrosive environments. An insulated copper EGC from service equipment to the pool equipment has been in the Code for years. (The problem with a meter-main on service equipment could have been resolved with a exception.) These 3 wiring method changes are supported by the aluminum industry because there have been few documented problems with aluminum wiring methods... maybe that's because copper has always been used. A step backwards IMO...time will tell.

680.26 Equipotential Bonding. Changes to the bonding requirements of perimeter surfaces (decking) were made for
accuracy and logic. This is good...because not many use common sense when applying the Code. If there is a fence at one side of a pool within 2-feet of a pool why bond the perimeter surface of the foot on the other side of the fence?

680.28 Gas-Fired Water Heaters. New GFCI provisions for gas-fired water heaters were added. This is good.

680.42 Outdoor Installations. The rules for the interior wiring supplying outdoor spas and hot tubs were simplified. Same as pools, the wiring methods have been lessened, IMO.

680.74 Equipotential Bonding. The rules for bonding hydromassage tubs have been revised, again.
680.80 General. A new Part VIII, covering electrically powered pool lifts, was added to this article.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
680.26 Equipotential Bonding. Changes to the bonding requirements of perimeter surfaces (decking) were made for
accuracy and logic. This is good...because not many use common sense when applying the Code. If there is a fence at one side of a pool within 2-feet of a pool why bond the perimeter surface of the foot on the other side of the fence?

What if the fence is removed? I would still run the bond wire behind the fence.

680.14 Corrosive Environment. A new section provides the requirements for equipment subject to corrosion. Here is another rule with far reaching effects. For example one of my customers has the pool pumps in the basement of his house. Does the basement of a home now need to be wired as a corrosive environment subject to 680.14 with this type of installation?

Curious about this change and the verbiage. Nearly all pool equipment is outdoors and subject to corrosion from the elements. Our indoor pools have the equipment indoors.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Pools

Curious about this change and the verbiage. Nearly all pool equipment is outdoors and subject to corrosion from the elements. Our indoor pools have the equipment indoors.

Think of an equipment room where chlorine is stored...... they are typically referring to an area with any corrosive agents present above and beyond the environment.

Have you guys ever worked in the pump room at the Y? That's what comes to mind. Last time I was there all the conduit was absolutely eat up and most of the copper was nearly dissolved in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortcircuit2

What if the fence is removed? I would still run the bond wire behind the fence.

Wiring a job is done for present time...not what "might" happen in the future.

A corrosive environment is described in 680.14(A)...corrosion from "natures elements" is not mentioned...and like I said indoor locations will be scrutinized by the AHJ as to the corrosive environment described in 680.14(A)

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Think of an equipment room where chlorine is stored...... they are typically referring to an area with any corrosive agents present above and beyond the environment.

Have you guys ever worked in the pump room at the Y? That's what comes to mind. Last time I was there all the conduit was absolutely eat up and most of the copper was nearly dissolved in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chemicals are supposed to be stored in a separate, vented room. Of course no one follows the rules regarding this at facilities like this until there's a fire or someone is overcome by fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.