Porch Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at wiring a screened in porch that is detached from the house. Going to run a 15 amp circuit for a ceiling fan. Most of the run will be under the existing deck which butts up to the porch. The house is located right next to the woods. I was thinking about using uf or piping the whole way. My question is should I be concerned about animals with the uf? Have you guys had any problems with this? I would fasten it to the deck framing underneath. Thanks

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I'd pipe it under the deck for sure,
in EMT,
but thats just me I use EMT all the time.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Remember to still use UF in the conduit, not NM. Could also use THHN for box to box conduit runs.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
I'd be inclined to go with UF if it's off the ground and stapled to the deck joists. I doubt it would suffer too much from critters. You could transition to pipe or sleeve the UF (yes, difficult) once you get to the porch if it's more aesthetically pleasing to the customer.

jmellc

Occupation
if you have conduit, why not use thwn?
Most all THHN I have seen is dual rated for THWN. Any water rated conductor could be used but THHN is the most commonly available. XHHW is good but usually a special order and more expensive.

jmellc

Occupation
Pulling UF in PVC is one of the most difficult pulls.
But I was assuming a short run without a lot of bends. 14-2 UF in 3/4 PVC should pull Ok with a little wire lube.

I was mainly reminding OP that conductors in outdoor conduits still must be weather rated. Easy to forget sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.