portable diesel fuel supply tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

saratoga1

I need to wire a 500 gallon above ground diesel tank for equipment at an excavation business, they bought this used, it has a 3' piece of 1/2" sealtight hanging off of the pump, a wp bell box with blank cover and 12" # 14 romex hanging out the end. It is 120 volts, I couldnt find anything in the code book, but I am thinking a 15 amp circuit with a disconnecting means at the tank (SP switch) Diesel is non combustible (fumes) so nothing needs to be explosion proof?? am I correct? anyone hooked one of these up?

mdshunk

You might want to pull the pump and look for the brass dataplate. They're easy to get out. That said, I've never done one that needed bigger than a 15 amp circuit. If you happen to megger the pump, you stand about a 90% chance of getting troubling measurements, so don't megger it. Ignorance is bliss. :grin:

growler

saratoga1 said:
I need to wire a 500 gallon above ground diesel tank for equipment at an excavation business, anyone hooked one of these up?

I started to hook up a 1000 gallon diesel tank for the same type of company. I called the electrical inspection department to see if my plans were going to fly with them. That's when the trouble starts.

If you need a permit for this tank then it may go through the fire marshals office. In this state it has to go through the State Fire Marshals Office. There is no problem with the electrical but can be a lot of hassel for the people wanting to install the tank. Lots of paper work and inspections for them. Most companies try to find some to do the job under the table.

Check your state requirements for bulk storage fuel tanks. Here anything over 120 gallons is bulk storage. Give a call to the local Fire Marshal just to be on the safe side.

saratoga1

I will check with them on fire requirements, I was curious if any special bonding ect needed to be done, I didnt think anything needed to be explosion proof ect (diesel fuel). I will look for the brass nameplate, this has been freshly painted from top to bottom, this tank will sit inside a big trough for spill/leak control. This will be located about 50' from the panel, I was wondering about bonding/grounding the tank and trough? Thanks for the info, I have never hooked one of these up and didnt find much in the code book.

growler

saratoga1 said:
I will check with them on fire requirements, I was curious if any special bonding ect needed to be done, I didnt think anything needed to be explosion proof ect (diesel fuel).

It doesn't need to be explosion proof ( diesel fuel). All the new rules for the storage of fuel came about after 9/11. If the owners are willing to get a permit for the tank and do what they need to do then your job as an electrician will be simple. The problem is that most companies don't want to get a permit. At the very least they will probaly be required to build a fence around the tank and maybe a concrete dam to catch any spillage in case of an accident. Even the location of the tank needs approval. Everyone from the EPA to Homeland Security is worried about fuel oil.

charlie

growler said:
. . . fuel oil.
Let's see, one part fuel oil . . . HMMM . . . yep, it could be used as a bomb to blow up the _________________ building (you fill in the blank). Homeland Security, you bet they would be interested in maintaining control of fuel oil storage, just like fertilizer and whatever else goes into a bomb. I just hope they don't lose the handle on who has access to the ingredients and knows how to mix it to make explosives (I don't and I don't want to know). BTW, if you know, this is not the place to post the formula. Look at Timothy McVey, good riddance, I say. :smile:

growler

charlie said:
Let's see, one part fuel oil . . . HMMM . . . yep, it could be used as a bomb to blow up the _________________ building (you fill in the blank). Homeland Security, you bet they would be interested in maintaining control of fuel oil storage, just like fertilizer and whatever else goes into a bomb. I just hope they don't lose the handle on who has access to the ingredients and knows how to mix it to make explosives (I don't and I don't want to know). BTW, if you know, this is not the place to post the formula. Look at Timothy McVey, good riddance, I say. :smile:

Charlie, that is just about what the local Fire Marshal told me when I called him up. This is why you have to have all those forms filled out.

I just wanted to let saratog1 know that the electrical may be the least of his problems. Trying to get a job like this permitted can be an ordeal and the company that's having this done may try to put it on him or try to skip the process alltogather. It's their problem and they should do all the leg work to be in compliance with all regulations.

By the way I have no interest in bomb making, I worked around expolsives enough when I was young ( military) and don't care to be around things that go boom in the night ( you live longer that way ).

charlie

growler said:
. . . I worked around explosives enough when I was young ( military) . . .
Me too, my work was with 750 pound bombs filled with tritonal, 50 caliber machine gun rounds for the tail of a B52, and MK 28 nuclear weapons. :smile:

wallyworld

growler said:
It doesn't need to be explosion proof ( diesel fuel). All the new rules for the storage of fuel came about after 9/11. If the owners are willing to get a permit for the tank and do what they need to do then your job as an electrician will be simple. The problem is that most companies don't want to get a permit. At the very least they will probaly be required to build a fence around the tank and maybe a concrete dam to catch any spillage in case of an accident. Even the location of the tank needs approval. Everyone from the EPA to Homeland Security is worried about fuel oil.
I believe the cutoff for SPCC plans are 1300 gallons held at the facility. Which includes drums of oil of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.