Portable extension ladders...where is this info found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

97catintenn

My question was:

Using a portable extension ladder, how far above the elevated surface must your ladder extend?

Answers

2.5 ft
4 ft

I can't find the info. What book is it in?

tkb

It is an OSHA requirement and I thought it was 3', so the answer may be 2-1/2'

jumper

3' may have been one of the answers. thanks.

The answer must have been in the 'Code of Federal Regulations' which I do not have.

I do not really understand the question, are you referring to the overlap? From osha:

1910.26(a)(2)(iii)

Based on the nominal length of the ladder, each section of a multisection ladder shall overlap the adjacent section by at least the number of feet stated in the following:

|
Up to and including 36 .............| 3
Over 36, up to and including 48 ....| 4
Over 48, up to 60 ..................| 5

You can access the cfrs for free here:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=9718&p_table=standards

iwire

Staff member
OSHA 1926.1053(b)(1)

When portable ladders are used for access to an upper landing surface, the ladder side rails shall extend at least 3 feet (.9 m) above the upper landing surface to which the ladder is used to gain access; or, when such an extension is not possible because of the ladder's length, then the ladder shall be secured at its top to a rigid support that will not deflect, and a grasping device, such as a grabrail, shall be provided to assist employees in mounting and dismounting the ladder. In no case shall the extension be such that ladder deflection under a load would, by itself, cause the ladder to slip off its support.

jumper

OSHA 1926.1053(b)(1)

When portable ladders are used for access to an upper landing surface, the ladder side rails shall extend at least 3 feet (.9 m) above the upper landing surface to which the ladder is used to gain access; or, when such an extension is not possible because of the ladder's length, then the ladder shall be secured at its top to a rigid support that will not deflect, and a grasping device, such as a grabrail, shall be provided to assist employees in mounting and dismounting the ladder. In no case shall the extension be such that ladder deflection under a load would, by itself, cause the ladder to slip off its support.

damn i am dense this morning, i completely misread the question.:slaphead:

upper landing surface to which the ladder is used to gain access=elevated surface.:dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.