Portable Generator Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused about the state of a used generator that I just picked up and I'm in the process of repairing. It is a 6.5 kW continuous unit that I replaced the generator head on. The panel has two 120V/20A duplex receptacles, and one 240V/30A receptacle. It is an un-bonded neutral/ground unit. In the process of connecting the electrical portion (the removal and installation of the actual head is another whole story), I found this...the 240 receptacle ground terminal is connected to the frame of the generator, but the ground terminals on the 120 receptacles are not connected to anything. This strikes me as odd, because I'm assuming this set was in use this way. So if someone can give me their thoughts on why this is like this I'm very interested to learn everything i can about it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience

Status
Not open for further replies.