Portable Genny under 8' deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanVA

Occupation
Master Electrician and Electrical Contractor
Had a RFQ from a HO who wants to install a power inlet for a 10kw portable genny under his 8' deck. I've installed a 24KW Generac previously, but this would be my first portable. The manual for the portable doesn't offer specifics for placement. It's actually quite sparse. Contrasted with Generac's install manual, it's a cinch to determine what will and will not work for an installation site. Unfortunately, my salesmanship was ineffective in persuading him to let me install an automatic generator instead ;)

So, TLDR - Although not an NEC requirement, perhaps someone is versed in other codes (the IBC perhaps?) that details portable generator placement requirements?

Thanks. I feel so flipping green when I come across schtuff I haven't messed with but know is within my skill set if I knew the gotcha's and good-to-knows.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inlet can go where you want. Where the HO sets up the generator when the power goes out is his call. I would expect that the genny instruction manual says something about where to use and not to use the portable generator.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There’s the fire code that says the exhaust must be five feet away from any inlet to the building, and pointed away from the building.
Still too close IMO

Got it!

11.7.2.2​

Portable generators shall be positioned so that the exhaust is directed as follows:
  1. At least 5 ft (1.5 m) in any direction away from any openings or air intakes
  2. Away from the building

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
I hope I never have to go to another fire dept call for multiple fatalities from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a portable generator again.

Status
Not open for further replies.